StudentsReview :: Alabama A & M University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

Alabama A & M University

I am a junior at A&M.Quite Bright
I am a junior at A&M. I am on a full academic scholarship. I have had troubles with financial aid and other administrative offices, the book store, and the dorms. Some of the people at this school are not the friendliest, absorbed with fashsion, and violent. BUT I feel like if you come to college with a mind of everything is going to be perfect and I'm not going to have any problems and everyone is going to be nice and care about me and do everything for me, then you should stay home with your mommy and daddy. Know that before you come to college you need to grow up. Once your parents drop you off you are on your own and you are the grown up now. If you have a problem you need to find the person to fix it. If you get the run around hound whoever it is sending you on this wild goose chase. People at A&M want you to show them that you mean business. They're are not going to waste their time on people who want a handout or who they think want a handout, would you? So show them and you will get what you want no matter what. Also don't wait till the last minute to ask for a recommendation letter, transcript or anything else because your problem isn't the only one seen in these administrative offices. Get yours in and then hound them if its not done in a timely manner. Also don't go to school for the people. You are there to get an education make a couple friends and thats it. Don't worry about having the nicest clothes and all the people who do worry about this crap. Its not important and most of the people who do care you won't see the next the semester anyway, so don't waste your time. And most of those girls dressing like the going to the club aren't there for academics they're looking for a man and that should have nothing to do with you anyway. So dont pay them no mind. Any college you go to you will find females looking to obtain their Mrs. degree and thats it. So dont even trip. Do that and the other stuff will come. Don't get caught up in drugs and violence and dont go down there thinking you the shit and you running something, because there are some people down there that will shut you down and thats where most of the violence comes from. I say be up front about who you are, what you want out of life, and why you are there. Know who you are before you leave your parents. Like my mother always tells me: have your own plan or you will be apart of someone elses, and usually you'll be hurt while the other person excels at your expense. And if you are there to party then party at home and dont waste your money your parents money or the schools money.

On teachers: Show them that your here to LEARN! and go to class and pay attention. Don't not come to class and say you aint learning nothing. Thats just not smart. Of course you not learning anything your not there. And read your books, do the homework and independent/group studying. Also if you dont understand go one on one with your teacher. If you hound them and let them know that you want to learn they will help you or they'll get so tired of the constant emails and phone calls and office visits that they will help you just so you'll shut up. And fyi this is at ANY universty. Teachers will get paid whether you pass or not. So since your paying make them help you and pass, get your moneys worth.

On Housing: Its not the best I will say but do what you can to make it nice. Get things to dress up your room, KEEP IT CLEAN, and get some snacks for your room. The cafe not being open all night and no fast food resturants around campus is good because you can easily aviod that dreaded freshman 15, or sophmore twenty or whatever. You can be healthy and live a better life with the time restrictions. And just because people hang outside the dorms doesn't mean you have to. Go do something else. Its not written that you have to partake in stupid stuff. Make your own fun because if you keep waiting for someone else to do it you'll be waitng and bored your whole life. Also if you have a problem with housing hound your resident assisant (RA) or the dorm head. They will fix it you just have to show them that you won't stop till its done. Also if you have a drug dealing, stealing, lying, dirty, badass roomate TELL SOMEBODY! You dont have to put with that and if you TELL SOMBODY they will help you. You have to speak up. So if your shy and timid you need to break out of that as soon as possible like I did. If your stuff is stolen you should have insurance on it. REMEMBER stuff gets stolen EVERYWHERE not just at A&M, white campuses have this problem too and they shoot people up and jump people and have horrible security like anywhere else. Dont put it all on A&M. Lock your stuff up, dont leave your doors unlocked, dont give people your keys and if its your roomate agian TELL SOMEBODY! Dont leave your stuff vulnerable, be smart and do all you can and if if it still gets stolen or whatever at least your know you did your part and they really had to fight to get it. This is my motto: If you don't know or you need help then you need to ask somebody. Dont just sit around all year looking for a party or a good time or someone to do for you and then blame it on the school. Speak up and do for yourself. Stop looking for handouts. You are grown and on your own and you need to act like it so you and your stuff can be safe. REMEMBER your not the only one on the campus and your not the number priority all the time or most of the time, so you've got to make yourself the number one priority.

On the Bookstore: If you have a voucher or a scholarship just wait for it and explain to your teacher whats going on. It will come and they'll understand. BUT thats only if you go to class, listen, do your work, and show some kind of drive. Also if the bookstore doesnt have your book ask them why. Figure out the problem and fix it. They don't care if you have your stuff and they shouldn't. Your not a child anymore. People always talking about I'm an adult and I want to be treated like one. Well A&M will do just that.So if you cannot handle that stay with your parents. Don't waste your time and money and then try to blame the school because you didnt do your part. Also if your book still doesnt come buy online, its probably cheaper anyway and then use you voucher on other cool stuff in the bookstore. I mean its free to you.

General: Also if you dont have a car get some friends who do. Make your own fun and good time. Stop depending on EVERYONE else to make you happy or you will be soooo dissapointed and thats anywhere. Or get an on campus job, its a great way to stay busy, make some money, and network. And with this you can skip the run around process and go straight to the source of your problems. And most on campus jobs aren't that demanding and you can use that time to study and have more time for other fun stuff. Also utilize the on campus benefits instead of looking for the hottest party. REMEBER YOU ARE HERE TO LEARN! And its not hard to have a life, a job, a boyfriend/girlfriend, free time to yourself, and get a 4.0 gpa. Your friend or boyfriend/girlfriend or free time maybe cut a little short but this is just a preparation for the real world. I jus finished an internship and I appreciate all the crap I went through at A&M because now I have thick skin and I can get things that I need done done in a timely manner. Also organize yourself. Time management is the FIRST thing you need to learn in college. Its the biggest lesson and most important.So I just want to say do what you have to do, remember why you came to college, and realize that shit happens everywhere you go...not just at A&M.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Scholastic Success: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C+
I am a african american aswell a majorityQuite BrightAgriculture/Horticulture
I am a african american aswell a majority of students that atennd this university. First off let me began by saying at first my perception of alabama a&m was good. I'd say about 2 weeks later I realized i had made a terrible mistake. To start I walked into a unprepared dorm that was full of chairs to the point I couldnt move in my stuff. I had to ask for someone to help remove the chairs and after that I began moving in. The room itself was dirty and had broken tile chips scattered across the floor. Cobwebs were still hanging from the celing. Dirt and grime still covered desks and other furniture. So before i could finish moving in I had to clean up a mess that was supposed to be handled. After this i finally got setttled in and motioned to turn on my ac on this hot summer day. As soon I turned the outdated ac unit on it began smoking. I alerted an ra(resident assistant) and was told it would be checked on. Two weeks later without ac in the hottest point of summer they finally came in check on it. It took another two weeks and a letter to the head of dorms to get it installed. In my room that day I went to hookup my speakers only to realize there was only one outlet in the whole room! A surge protecter had to be purchased and after plugging in my electronics i encountured a series of short circuts. How could i forget to metion the first day? Well the first day i toured the campus and got my id card and other neccesary items. Later that night me and a couple friends went to the campus apartments(normal hills) and after being there for about an hour gunshots let off. From a 1st person viewing experience I witnessed a student shoot his self in the leg. The police came and nothing happened. The police at a&m typically cover incidents like this up and watch fights before helping anyone. After this I went back to the dorms to chill outside. After being outside for an hour with a group of friends four gunshots let off. Take it this is all happening on the first day! This time nothing happened; no police nothing! Many other events suchs as a student getting thrown out the 4th floor window. A student getting sent to the hospital after getting jumped. Another student getting jumped in the cafeteria. Numerous break ins to several people I know. If you live on campus your personal items are not safe! Thier is absolutely no campus life on alabama a&m campus. Their are no gamerooms or areas for students to hang out.All the students at alabama a&m do is smoke weed, drink and talk. This is no exaggeration I've seen it countless times and fell victim to the utter boredom of alabama a&m. The food is a step above your highschool cafteria. Of course you have pizza and hamburgers but would you like to eat them everyday? The cafe menu never rotates; not even for the second semester. The cafeteria often runs out of specific drinks and are slow at serving. Recently we just got our first alternative to the cafe.Its called the greasy spoon 2 which is basically food from the cafe prepared with seasoning. So if your expecting a fastfood resturaunt on campus its not here! Overall the alabama a&m experience has been anything but rewarding. Its been a complete waste of my time and did I mention were in danger of losing our accredidation.

sidenotes: The first time we all lost visitaion was because someone spread fecies all over the walls of one building. The second time the girls lost it and was result of someone peeing in the elevator. The bathrooms are highly unsanitary and are filled with filth such as: hair,soap,leftover underwear,soap boxes,mildew and other comtaminants. Bottom line the janitors dont clean and you can expect halls riddled with trash in any place imaginable.(People are to lazy and often leave trash by doors or hide it behind hallways doors.)Sincerely Disatisfied Alabama A&M School Student.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A, Individual Value: F
AAMU is awful.Quite BrightAccounting
AAMU is awful. You can not get help in the Financial Aid Office. The cashiers open late close early. Takes forever to get a transcript. I love my teacher I think they are some of the best in the world but I am ready to leave this place. I would not recommend AAMU to anybody if I had to do it again I would not have come here
4th Year Male -- Class 2011