StudentsReview :: Alabama State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR
California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Alabama State University

I came to this school really wanting theQuite BrightPsychology
I came to this school really wanting the HBCU experience, but it seems as if the school has lost its way. Sub-standard students that do not care about education are admitted and interfere with the education of others. Teachers and students are always late to class, or just not showing up at all. Smoking on campus is ridiculous people will smoke cigarettes and weed right in front of dorm entrances. Males on campus are rude and make females feel unsafe. University is going through many scandals that involve stealing money from students. The teachers do not care about the student all they care about is there pay check, beside a chosen few. A teacher said to me after asking what book to purchase for her class; "this is an hbcu half of you wont read the book and the half of you who do it will be wasted on." I was beyond offended and dropped her class immediately. When I went to tell the department chair and no actions were taken against her. There are really no clubs or groups to join unless you want to be greek,sga,or elite model. You CANNOT do anything in this town unless you have a car. The bus system is horrible and everything is spread out. Overall, not a horrible school, but not one for a serious student.
Campus Aesthetics: A, Surrounding City: F
Alabama State University has been by far mostSuper BrilliantCultures/Civilization
Alabama State University has been by far most the best thing that has happened to me. As a male coming from the huge city Los Angeles, California I have learned to adjust to the more slower and calmer pace that is in Montgomery, Alabama. When I first arrived, I knew that I would hate ASU because it is such a southern and racist state. I never knew that I could adjust to love Alabama State University the way I do now. We have plenty of parties on campus and some times campus is really boring. In the city of Montgomery, you will need a car or some friends with a car to go anywhere. Not everyone here is friendly, but some people are really friendly (Southern Hospitality). I wish that the greeks actually stepped more on campus. Also, the facilities on campus are being renovated but I feel like things such as broken lights or utilities should be fixed more quickly considering the fact that we are a institution of high learning. We pay outstanding tuition and therefore, we should see our monies being put to use. Again, our campus is near the GHETTO, so there should be much more policing throughout the campus, because people from the nearby hoods can walk onto our campus sometimes, even though they are stopped, it is still risky. Other than that, I love ASU !!! GO HORNETS!!!
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C-
Alabama State Unversity is not a bad school.Quite BrightPsychology
Alabama State Unversity is not a bad school. Your college experience here will truly be what you make it. They say there is no experience like the HBCU experiene and that's true. The school has an amazing band and they work very hard.The sports are good here also. Most of the people who play a sport here are on a schloarship. There are alot of clubs and organizations to join. Even thought this is an HBCU there are a lot of other races. most people think HBCU are ALL black. The surrounding area however is not good. this school is like a small little world, but once you leave campus you're in the projects.This is dangerous because plenty of people have been robbed while off campus. The bad thing about it is as soon as you walk off campus your pretty much in the projects. Another bad thing is that people that don't even attend ASU come on campus just to hang out. Thats bad because they came on campus causing problems. A few of them have been arrested while on campus.That just makes the school look bad. this school already has a bad rep by some people in Alabama because of the people here that make it look bad. Most people here are nice, but everyone is not. While you're walking you can easily smile and wave to some, but it's differnet with everyone.There are a lot of diffeent types of fashion here so it seems like a fashion show at times. It's nice to see. If you're the party type then you'll never be bored. There's always some type of party going on. When it's night time, it would be smart to walk around campus with a group. walking a far distance by yourself when its really dark isn't a good idea. The financial aid office here NEVER answers their phone. Overall id recommend it if you wamt the HBCU experience, but only attend this school if it's your 1st choice because if not, your 1st choice will ALWAYS be in the back of your mind.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016