StudentsReview :: Alabama State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR
California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Alabama State University

I have a very profound dislike for this

May 01 2014Psychology
I have a very profound dislike for this school. Students are lazy, faculty is lazy, administration is almost incapable of getting anything done. Computer system fails regularly, internet hardly ever works on campus, many teachers and students are very closeminded. Cafeteria is horrendous. Terrible learning environment. Everything is an easy, easy A. The only students who enjoy the school are the ones who go there to party. Less challenging than most high schools. Basically, the school is a joke. A few good teachers but forced by the system to dumb down their classes because students keep failing.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Surrounding City: B, Education Quality: F

I came to this school really wanting the

Jan 31 2014Psychology
I came to this school really wanting the HBCU experience, but it seems as if the school has lost its way. Sub-standard students that do not care about education are admitted and interfere with the education of others. Teachers and students are always late to class, or just not showing up at all. Smoking on campus is ridiculous people will smoke cigarettes and weed right in front of dorm entrances. Males on campus are rude and make females feel unsafe. University is going through many scandals that involve stealing money from students. The teachers do not care about the student all they care about is there pay check, beside a chosen few. A teacher said to me after asking what book to purchase for her class; "this is an hbcu half of you wont read the book and the half of you who do it will be wasted on." I was beyond offended and dropped her class immediately. When I went to tell the department chair and no actions were taken against her. There are really no clubs or groups to join unless you want to be greek,sga,or elite model. You CANNOT do anything in this town unless you have a car. The bus system is horrible and everything is spread out. Overall, not a horrible school, but not one for a serious student.
Campus Aesthetics: A, Surrounding City: F

Alabama State University has been by far most

Apr 08 2013Cultures/Civilization
Alabama State University has been by far most the best thing that has happened to me. As a male coming from the huge city Los Angeles, California I have learned to adjust to the more slower and calmer pace that is in Montgomery, Alabama. When I first arrived, I knew that I would hate ASU because it is such a southern and racist state. I never knew that I could adjust to love Alabama State University the way I do now. We have plenty of parties on campus and some times campus is really boring. In the city of Montgomery, you will need a car or some friends with a car to go anywhere. Not everyone here is friendly, but some people are really friendly (Southern Hospitality). I wish that the greeks actually stepped more on campus. Also, the facilities on campus are being renovated but I feel like things such as broken lights or utilities should be fixed more quickly considering the fact that we are a institution of high learning. We pay outstanding tuition and therefore, we should see our monies being put to use. Again, our campus is near the GHETTO, so there should be much more policing throughout the campus, because people from the nearby hoods can walk onto our campus sometimes, even though they are stopped, it is still risky. Other than that, I love ASU !!! GO HORNETS!!!
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015