StudentsReview :: Auburn University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Alabama -- Birmingham, AL
University of Alabama -- Tuscaloosa, AL

Auburn University

Ignore the hype.Quite BrightBiology
Ignore the hype. This is not a "family" unless you're white, upper class, conservative, and enjoy frat life and football games. One of the most racist, homophobic, sexist places I've ever been. If you're expecting a diverse college full of challenging academics and people with life goals and ambition, AVOID AUBURN AT ALL COSTS. Frats, alcohol, sex, and football are the only things that matter to people here.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Maintenance: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
Parking is horrible.Quite BrightOther
Parking is horrible. Alumni and events are more priority than the students. The way people have to pay for parking and then be removed for football season is unacceptable and caused me great trouble while pregnant with back problems.A majority of teachers condescend students looking at them as if they feed off of their families parents money and assume all students are that way.. They don't consider while assigning deadlines and coursework that people have jobs with different hours and some people are parents that are the students. The attendance policy is too strict for paying members..we pay so our work should reflect out grades.. Not attendance.. Sometimes people get sick or have emergencies longer than 3 days. Teachers assign work for students to do over the breaks which voids the purpose of school breaks. The environment is beautiful and there are a few weeks exceptions to the rules for excellent teachers but it is very obvious Auburn is scrounging to make an extra buck at every opportunity. The advisors are not very qualified and a lot of them are across campus and have limited hours so you have to go during class. I often hear instructors complaining in the hallway about a lot of administrative change that is confusing and not stable where they question if they are going to stay. My $2000 semester professional fees pay for teachers and our printing equipment that we depend on for our graded is always broken.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: D-
I went to Auburn right out of highBrightZoology
I went to Auburn right out of high school from a liberal town on the West Coast. I was super worried about being more or less a socialist coming into school so deep in the Bible Belt, but I was pleasantly surprised about how people responded to my ideals and values. Though most students had opposing opinions, I was never attacked or berated for my thoughts, and I was able to speak openly and be met with open ears. Overall, I found the student body to be warm and welcoming, though a little homogenous. The social scene is fairly Greek centered, so I would suggest considering it, though it's not necessary. I was an independent with a lot of Greek friends, so I always had things to do on the weekends, and I feel like I would have been fine even if I didn't have those friends. The school is not going to hold your hand and bring events to you, so you definitely have to be proactive and find friends who have the same interests as you, whether it be going out or staying in.

As for my program, I was a COSAM double major with heavy ties to the School of Forestry and Wildlife. The biological sciences are not for the feint of heart, particularly anything that can go pre-vet or pre-med. As someone who was not on a strictly preprofessional path, I felt like I was constantly competing with the pre-vet/pre-med kids, even though I wasn't on their paths. The intro classes are ball busters, too... I even had a few professors refer to their classes as 'weed-outs'. I also had a few professors that were clearly there for research and not teaching, which was super frustrating. However, the macro bio teachers are typically sympathetic and friendly, and I even got close with a few of them. Expect to work hard, and try not to overload yourself- I took 18 hours each semester and nearly killed myself trying to get the double major. Be reasonable with yourself. My main piece of advice for the biological sciences is to be hyper involved in the clubs. It's an amazing way to get to know your professors and the people you will be in the field with, plus you get some really cool opportunities for research and exploration. I met some great people in TFWS that asked me to send them my resume when I got my degree! It's a total win-win. Alabama is a great place to study plants and animals, so I would highly recommend Auburn if that's your path.

For housing, I would suggest living off-campus. The apartments in the area are diverse in options, and are all pretty cheap. I lived in the Hill and the Quad, and while they are conveniently close, the luxury of a kitchen and your own room is much nicer (and typically costs less). Plus, Southcentral Alabama is stunningly pretty and very spread out, so it was very easy for me to find an apartment complex that was more than a concrete jungle.Overall, my experiences at Auburn were highly positive. The South was charming and friendly, and Auburn was definitely a pocket of old Southern hospitality. However, I am white and come from a fairly affluent family, so I had those advantages. For my friends who are people of color and/or paying their own way through school, their experience was undoubtedly more difficult. Basically, if you are coming from outside the deep South, expect the Southern stereotypes.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015