StudentsReview :: Auburn University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Alabama -- Birmingham, AL
University of Alabama -- Tuscaloosa, AL

Auburn University

If you're considering Art & Design at Auburn,AverageArt & Design Department
If you're considering Art & Design at Auburn, this review is for you.
If you are going into architecture, good for you. Go to Auburn. If your idea of art and design coincides with engineering, go to Auburn. If you're a socially calloused, conservative Christian who loves Greek life and frat rape, go to Auburn. Just pretend you didn't read that last sentence. I'm sorry you're offended. Keep reading.

I majored in graphic design for a year and made absolutely no friends. I was terrified of one professor in particular, who I kept getting stuck with because, well, I wait until the last minute to sign up for classes. That's on me. Anyways, he wasn't a bad professor. He was just arrogant and completely unapproachable. I spent much more time measuring and cutting foam board into little pieces than I needed. I could have learned the basics of 3D design in a much less tedious and more time-friendly manner, had he not held strong to a profound Mr. Miyagi complex, which likely stemmed from his inability to find a job in architecture, which was what led him to become a professor in the first place. His demeanor wouldn't be as relevant to this review if it didn't represent the majority of the Art & Design department.

Every single student, and I do mean every single one of them (I reached out to them, desperate for social interaction) was, on my level at least, arrogant and unapproachable. I could not get to know them past their previous academic history and how far they thought one dot should be placed from the next dot in our godforsaken 2D design class. This social rejection was devastating, as was the project I spent 50 straight hours working on, only to get an F because I didn't finish in time and wasn't a convincing enough liar to be given a doctor's excuse. (By the way, the med clinic at Auburn is run by actual Nazis. They stamp a swastika on your release papers. I promise.)Perhaps I'm just not responsible enough or smart enough or creative enough for Auburn's design program. Maybe I'm being too sensitive. But you damn well better cut that shit out if you plan on going through this program because it's a cold, cut-throat environment past the glass doors of Biggin Hall. I believe the first day they told us only 15 out of about 50-75 students will graduate the program. I don't wish this upon the fragile-hearted. My year at Auburn was the closest to suicide I've ever come.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Maintenance: A+, Innovation: F
After one semester at Auburn I left, andAverage
After one semester at Auburn I left, and I am currently trying to going to FSU. A school that actaully HAS a film program and people with personalities. I now realize I need to go to out of state to do any career in the media and arts. If you like culture, different people, diverse personalities, or have ANY personality or fun in your system at all do NOT come here.

Pros: Campus is pretty, and people are nice. Good school if you want to get married early and become a housewife in your cookie cutter suburbian home.

Cons: There is absolutley NO diversity. Yes, every guy and girl are nice, but they are shallow and on the surface. They are 100% republican and radical christian( even all the clubs on campus are all about christianity) Which is not a problem, its just that they have these beliefs because they have never been challenged to think anything else. I am from Alabama I know what I am talking about. There is also no fashion. Expect to ONLY see over sized sorority t-shirts and nike shorts every minute of your life. Again, no diversity. There is also NO i mean NO social life. Downtown is literally two streets with about four bars. Also going to the bars is pointless because everyone is so cliquey and involved in their sororities noone wants to engage. the frat parties are LAME and extremely racist, and they are not afraid to say that they are. They will openly deny any black people in the parties. Auburn is like going to a small high school, yes there is 24,000 people but it feels like only 15 people. The people were nice but I felt like there was nothing but air in their heads. If you have any culture in you do NOT go here, you will be miserable.

Faculty Accessibility: A+, Innovation: F
Super BrilliantAgriculture/Horticulture
Be afraid. Be very afraid.Cheerleaders are ugly and ride tractors.
5th Year Female -- Class 2018