StudentsReview :: Birmingham Southern College - Comments and Student Experiences

Union College -- Schenectady, NY
Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technolog -- Beaverton, OR

Birmingham Southern College

Faculty are generally not helpful to help you to get good gAveragePreMed and Medical
Faculty are generally not helpful to help you to get good grades. They don't care about students. Physiology professor is extremely demanding and his slides sucks. I had to resort to other resources. The college of this size should provide much better teaching.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2019
Faculty Accessibility: B+, Education Quality: F
BSC is a greatBusiness - Management and Administration
BSC is a great institution that prepares you in all areas for the real world or graduate school. To have experience with research and writing, not to mention hands on experience with your professors, it's all an invaluable part of the learn experience you get from Birmingham-Southern.
Just went to the career fair, hoping toQuite BrightOther
Just went to the career fair, hoping to find several good leads for a possible job after graduation. Waffle House was there looking for employees. Skipped the table and went to Home Depot hoping they were looking for something more corporate than just an in-store position. I asked the man about a management program they offer a friend went to a couple years back. He said he knew nothing about it he was just there trying to find students to come work in the warehouse for $10 an hour or something like that. Roughly one fifth of the booths there were looking for volunteers. So I approached a Regions Bank table hoping things would turn around. She asked if I was interested in opening up a checking account. Sure these are all negative things but I can honestly say there was nothing promising. The best lead I got was mutual investment company that was just looking for sales reps that have to make sales individually and are only paid on commission. I WALKED OUT OF THE FAIR FEELING LIKE MY EDUCATION WAS WORTHLESS AND BSC WAS DOING LITTLE TO NOTHING TO HELP ME. No offense to those who do work in a warehouse, as that was my first job. I worked in a warehouse between my Senior year of high school and Freshman year of college. It is tough, underpaid, and under-appreciated work. But after going to a school that charges $35K (actually more I think) per year, I hoped to get out with a job that requires more than a pulse to obtain. People that sell you on the school act like it is top notch, but the truth is it's not and the career center has been of absolutely no help. The person in charge has actually gained the reputation on campus of only sending out emails, that when students see the sender's name at the top they automatically delete it becuase they know it is worthless. I wish so badly I could go back and attend somewhere with a better alumni network and a place that cares more about your career than just taking your money to try and get itself out of debt during your four years. I am a ____________ major that has another semester remaining. I will complete my major requriements after this semester and while signing up for classes to take next semester (I require 2 more general credits) I found that there is not a single __ elective class that I can take that was not part of the Major's requirements that I have not already filled. I would like to take a challenging class that relates to my major rather than a 100 level class that has nothing to do with my interests, but not a single one was available. Pathetic. Proof that this school does the bare minimum to get you by and once your four years are done they just care about the new incoming students and keeping them stuck at BSC. Speaking of which, because credits rarely transfer in and out many students, including myself, typically feel locked in after a year and a half or two. After that amount of time you would basically be a Freshman wherever you may go because BSC does not transfer its credits easily. I am confident I would have transferred had I not had such a strong sense of guilt at the thought of wasting my parents hard earned money for this over-priced, under-achieving school. From what I have noticed it seems like about 25% of students leave after the first semester of their Freshman year. Looking back I sometimes consider them the lucky ones.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2016