StudentsReview :: Marion Military Institute - Comments and Student Experiences

United States Naval Academy -- Annapolis, MD

Marion Military Institute

Marion Institute laid a firm foundation of positiveBusiness - Management and Administration
Marion Institute laid a firm foundation of positive character building traits and values that make me who I am today. I left a very dysfunctional family to spend six years at Marion Institute (high school and college) and forty years later I find those years to be some of the most significant of my life. Yesterday was not perfect and there was not much to do around Marion when I attended (although after cars were allowed, we made our own fun. It was considerably more strict in my day than it is today, but not too many years went by before I realized the strict rules helped me create and live a wonderful, successful disciplined life. Parties by today's definition were few a far between, but I also found out that I really gained more and not missed much by not having access to the college life of today. College is serious business and it is about preparing young men and women to successfully compete is a sometimes cold and cruel world. Thanks to Marion Institute, I have been successful at achieving all I ever really wanted and can not imagine where I would be today without the foundation of Truth, Honor, Service. Young men and women who complain about Marion need to do some serious introspection about themselves, what type of person they want to become and where they want to go in life.
Started with the highest of hopes but leftCriminal
Started with the highest of hopes but left disappointed. School lacks resources for students struggling in class as I was. Library closed on weekends. Nothing after hours at all. The " all kinds of tutoring availability " that was promised did not exist. Only a few hours a week and that was only offered in the early afternoon. I had to fight my idiot wrestling coach to attend the few sessions I was able. School really seems to be in a state of decay. Motto seem to be , " what can we cut out this year?" Food may well have been the worst on a consistent basis I have ever experienced. High school lunches are fine dining by comparison. There are NO social or extra curricular activities. The town is dangerous and offers nothing. You are 30 miles from anything.On a slightly more positive note, while still only a C or B minus student, this is the best I have done in school. Something to be said for actually being forced to attend every single class and being expected to rise early. My prior college experience before MMI was more like some of the students from the movie Animal House. I give the school some credit for making me more responsible and organized. Had the wrestling program not been circling the drain, due in large part to a pair of coaches who despite Olympic credentials are burned out and in dire need of retirement I may well have stayed 2 years and likely added a 5th semester rather than the 1 year I attended. School needs a major cash infusion and a return to military roots rather than the lip service now offered. A little house cleaning is in order to dump some dead wood instructors. If the school would replace the entrenched wrestling coaches and put together a real program with real coaches I would wager the sagging student enrollment would be boosted by at least a hundred wrestlers per year who had failed at their first attempt at a traditional school as I did.
I came to MMI to commission as anNot so brightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I came to MMI to commission as an army officer and also because of money. On a positive note, if you seek a career as a military officer and you are looking for financial aid, this is a good start. Classes are small and and coursework reasonably challenging, so with the exception of remedial classes you have to put in some effort to get good grades in regular classes. The military science department is large and training is always a big part of life as an ECP cadet, but it pays off in the end. On the other hand, the business office will suck you dry if you let it, and any cadet will have to suffer the bullshit of the commandants office. My advice is DO NOT come here unless it is for the early commissioning program, sponsored by a service academy to be admitted the next year, or if you are a scholarship athelete. Also DO NOT believe a word from the enrollment office or what athletic coaches may tell you about the campus. This is a military school in every aspect and your sole purposes there are to get an education and possibly to commission as an officer. In terms of student life, there is nothing in the town of Marion and you have to go to Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, or Selma to find a party. As for extracurriculars, they are easy to find, but be prepared for a challenge if you join a military organization.
1st Year Male -- Class 2013