StudentsReview :: Spring Hill College - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC

Spring Hill College

Aug 07 2014Nursing
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I found it quite surprising that there were so many negative comments on my school. People give up on SpringHill so quickly. Maybe people don't meet the right friends right away, or it's just easy to give up and transfer to a bigger school. This school is my home because I stocked it out the first semester and found where I belong. It's the REAL world. When you get into a career or job, you don't just leave because the first couple of days were rough. This life and it will be hard at any institution that you choose to go to. All of my teachers are amazing here. They really take the time to know you and they KNOW when you aren't there. It's really important to show up to all classes. This school is about learning, not partying. I'm a nursing major and it is really challenging. You will make an A if you study. The nursing program has gone WAY up. It's one of the top in the state now. Springhill has taken a turn for the better. I love it in mobile and people need to remember this is COLLEGE, you eat crappy cafeteria meals at every college and you're gonna be broke anywhere you go. I wouldn't choose to go anywhere else.
Education Quality: A+,
Oct 24 2013Business - Management and Administration
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Do not go to Spring Hill if you want a college experience. This is like high school all over again. You meet the same people everyday and do the same ting every day. A better way to describe this hell hole of a school is that its a boarding school. The only good thing about this school is that it's pretty. I have 2 good professors and the rest are absolute crap. The math dept. is pathetic. You have to do online notes and homework and the Nursing Dept. here is a joke. If you want to become a nurse skip this school. It is know to have a horrible nursing program. Night life is a joke all the bars in downtown mobile are a joke and you just waste a ton of money for cover charges. Another thing is that this school is very expensive even with a scholarship you have to pay abot 43 thousand dollars to go her with out a scholarship and i got the biggest scholarship of 25,000 and my parents are literally paying out the wazoo for me to go to this shit hole. When you are a senior you get to the in the good ole apartments. They are crap. One is condemned thanks to the negligence of the staff. If you decide to go here, you won't be seeing me because Im transferring the hell out of here to Alabama or LSU.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A, Useful Schoolwork: D-
Aug 27 2013English
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The thing about this school is that you have to fit the mold. I know this because I did my freshman year. I wore the right clothes and talked to the right people. I was out drinking every weekend and made a great group of friends. However, after that year I was too busy to stay in the social light and it seemed like all my friends were too. The problem was that I don't have enough time to go out and keep up with new people as I was trying to work full time and stay in school full time as well. Since this school is so small everyone already knows everything about you. It is difficult to meet new faces and feel welcome because I know they know the things I wish they didn't--perhaps during my party period. How awkward.

Another thing is that I was told that the gym renovation would be complete by the time I started school back in 2010. It has not been touched. Don't let them fool you. The landscaping will always be maintained and beautiful but the mold in the apartment buildings and dorms will not be addressed.

The nursing program was in danger back in 2011. Many nurses changed their major--- and transferred although the school discouraged it. The teacher who exposed this was fired almost immediately. The business program was in danger of being discredited, and I know a few students who transferred because of that.

The food in the caf is mostly only great when they know prospective students are touring the campus and also during Family Weekend. I do have to say that my freshman year had pretty good food, but it went down hill from there.

The athletics are desperate are creating new teams (track and cross country) to bring in more people and of course, money. The basketball team brings in the money so they get better equipment while the baseball team is neglected.

Parties are not what they used to be. All the people who graduated before me are disappointed in that fact.

The standards for getting into the school has gone down. That's what happens when a school gets desperate. This must be why the crime on campus has gotten so bad. The students from around here are probably letting their nonstudent friends in to steal the phones and laptops. It is getting to be ridiculous here.Attending this school is like buying an ugly brand name purse. You just hope you can walk away looking good from the logo because you paid for it. It probably wasn't practical or worth it, but the name is still there.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014