StudentsReview :: Samford University - Comments and Student Experiences

Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL
Saint Thomas University -- Miami, FL

Samford University

So Samford has provided an amazing experience forAverageBusiness - Management and Administration
So Samford has provided an amazing experience for me thus far, and its only my second year. I read the other posts and I gata say.. a lot the things you hear are indeed true. Lots of upper-middles class white people, lots of females, and expensiveness. (We JUST got a flock of foreign exchange students from China, so theres a boost to the Asian population.) Greek Life is pretty dominant, although brochures and student tour guides will tell you otherwise. I am in a fraternity, and that in of itself has changed my entire experience at Samford (for the better). The pres, Andy Westmoreland, is a boss and is a great leader. He takes walks around campus every now and then and students freely approach him and say hi. Campus is astounding, and you'll find yourself sitting on the "Quad" reading or hammocking outside often. Athletics could use some help, especially football. BUT they recently changed the way tail-gating is done, and the campus becomes very alive during tail-gating hours. All the orgaizations pitch up tents, and you can freely roam around and steal food and coozies while watching other popular football games on the Tvs they bring out. If you want the best hamburgers, go to the Pi Kappa Phi tent.. Desserts.. go to Phi Mu.. Our Volleyball is really good. The rec center is awesome, and is free for students. Food gets old after a while, but every now and then when parents/prospective kids come they up the quality of food. The dorms are really nice, especially for girls. Guys.. smith is awesome. Never do you have 90% of the freshmen guys in one building hanging n chilling (until rush starts, then it becomes chaos). Professors care and will gladly arrange appointments to meet with you 1 on 1 and talk through your struggles/concerns. Intramurals are huge, and new teams emerge yearly. We just got Crew and Disc Golf as official teams. Last but not least, Samford requires each student ot have a number of "convo" credits before they can graduate. Convo is basically a point system for attending lectures, movies, concerts, greek life events (occasionally), volunteering, etc. It actually is a great incentive to go to these things.. Like on Friday night no one is in town, but a movie is playing and they are giving 2 convo credits. So I'd go do that, which in turn I would meet people, socialize and meet friends that don't go out of town. If you read all that then you know a little about Samford. Its a great school, and if you have the option to go, do it.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B
I could not be happier with my choiceBrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I could not be happier with my choice to attend Samford! I literally could not imagine going anywhere else. I am very close with my hall and find the entire campus to be friendly and close. It is nice to always recognize a friendly face on the way to class. The campus is also breathtakingly beautiful and I feel lucky to see it daily. It is great to be in an environment where others share your values and my faith has grown tremendously in the past year. I feel so blessed to be able to have genuine conversations with people. I could not be happier!
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Individual Value: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B
I came to Samford for the FYNT elementaryEducation
I came to Samford for the FYNT elementary education program. I was unprepared and did not fit in. I did not always enjoy myself and did not have the ideal personality for the program.

I was not terribly motivated and technically barely made it through. I was not that happy with the school when I left and have not even applied for a job in education.

That being said, looking back, I must say that I actually had a positive experience at Samford. The Education program and faculty were top rate. I have nothing but respect for nearly all the professors I had. I learned more than I realized despite procrastinating and never putting nearly my best efforts towards my schooling.

For prospective students, I would say that Samford has a great education program if you really want to be a teacher and are ready to work hard to get through school.

The only problems I have with the program are its overabundance of young, white, upper middle class, Southern female students who want to teach in suburban schools; it seems to be designed for them. If there was one reason I would not choose the program if I knew what I do now, it is because I am much more interested in teaching the less well off -- an opportunity I feel was not given to me in the FYNT program.The campus is beautiful and safe. The location is pretty much near everything you'd want to go to. and there's plenty to do in the area if you know where to look.

Compare SamfordSave Samford