StudentsReview :: Samford University - Comments and Student Experiences

Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL
Saint Thomas University -- Miami, FL

Samford University

Literally do not come here if you areQuite BrightNursing
Literally do not come here if you are somewhat of a social person. This campus is full of people who were not so cool in high school and then this is their time to shine. Absolutely no social life. I am greek and some of our socials included plying "capture the flag." being greek means nothing here because you don't do anything socially. Girls are looking for their husbands here. Everyone I have talked to is physically on the look out for someone they can marry. Here I have met about 25 juniors and seniors that are engaged to be married. If you graduate from the nursing program, you will be staying in Birmingham, or the south. No one outside of the south really has ever heard of the school. The atmosphere is just weird here honestly, and if you are not a southern Baptist DO NOT COME HERE. I am catholic and people constantly try to convert me, not to mention we prayed before classes which I find a little odd. Please please please listen to me!! If you want a social life or normal college experience at all, don't come here!!!! I wish I never did and I'm trying hard to get applications in on time to transfer next semester.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F
This place is so boring.BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
This place is so boring. If you're looking to party, you've definitely came to the wrong place. Tons of super sheltered girls that only look for guys that they could marry. Nothing to do on the weekends. My high school weekends were more fun than mine here. Very very strict.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Friendliness: B, Education Quality: F
So Samford has provided an amazing experience forAverageBusiness - Management and Administration
So Samford has provided an amazing experience for me thus far, and its only my second year. I read the other posts and I gata say.. a lot the things you hear are indeed true. Lots of upper-middles class white people, lots of females, and expensiveness. (We JUST got a flock of foreign exchange students from China, so theres a boost to the Asian population.) Greek Life is pretty dominant, although brochures and student tour guides will tell you otherwise. I am in a fraternity, and that in of itself has changed my entire experience at Samford (for the better). The pres, Andy Westmoreland, is a boss and is a great leader. He takes walks around campus every now and then and students freely approach him and say hi. Campus is astounding, and you'll find yourself sitting on the "Quad" reading or hammocking outside often. Athletics could use some help, especially football. BUT they recently changed the way tail-gating is done, and the campus becomes very alive during tail-gating hours. All the orgaizations pitch up tents, and you can freely roam around and steal food and coozies while watching other popular football games on the Tvs they bring out. If you want the best hamburgers, go to the Pi Kappa Phi tent.. Desserts.. go to Phi Mu.. Our Volleyball is really good. The rec center is awesome, and is free for students. Food gets old after a while, but every now and then when parents/prospective kids come they up the quality of food. The dorms are really nice, especially for girls. Guys.. smith is awesome. Never do you have 90% of the freshmen guys in one building hanging n chilling (until rush starts, then it becomes chaos). Professors care and will gladly arrange appointments to meet with you 1 on 1 and talk through your struggles/concerns. Intramurals are huge, and new teams emerge yearly. We just got Crew and Disc Golf as official teams. Last but not least, Samford requires each student ot have a number of "convo" credits before they can graduate. Convo is basically a point system for attending lectures, movies, concerts, greek life events (occasionally), volunteering, etc. It actually is a great incentive to go to these things.. Like on Friday night no one is in town, but a movie is playing and they are giving 2 convo credits. So I'd go do that, which in turn I would meet people, socialize and meet friends that don't go out of town. If you read all that then you know a little about Samford. Its a great school, and if you have the option to go, do it.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2014