StudentsReview :: Samford University - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL
Saint Thomas University -- Miami, FL

Samford University

Samford was the best decision I have everSuper BrilliantBiology
Samford was the best decision I have ever made. The quality of students and professors set the university apart. I have had more opportunities to grow and learn than I could have ever taken advantage of. I am leaving with a stellar education that I believe will put me above my peers in the next stage of life (medical school), and I have had a blast all four years!
4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: B-
I went to Samford in the late 80sEnglish
I went to Samford in the late 80s and had a wonderful experience. The English department during this time was excellent and inspired me to love reading and writing. As a result, I am today an English teacher, which is a career that I have never regretted. Socially, Samford can be a bit a challenging at first. Pledging Greek is a wonderful way to meet people, but no necessary. Samford, like any school or situation, is what you make of it. I made wonderful life-long friends and great memories that I cherish. Going to Samford changed my life in a positive way and I hope to send my own children there one day. By the way, I am NOT Baptist, rather Catholic, and never felt that I was frowned upon in my faith. I learned a great deal from the theology dept. and the required classes in Old Testament and New Testament.
So Samford has provided an amazing experience forAverageBusiness - Management and Administration
So Samford has provided an amazing experience for me thus far, and its only my second year. I read the other posts and I gata say.. a lot the things you hear are indeed true. Lots of upper-middles class white people, lots of females, and expensiveness. (We JUST got a flock of foreign exchange students from China, so theres a boost to the Asian population.) Greek Life is pretty dominant, although brochures and student tour guides will tell you otherwise. I am in a fraternity, and that in of itself has changed my entire experience at Samford (for the better). The pres, Andy Westmoreland, is a boss and is a great leader. He takes walks around campus every now and then and students freely approach him and say hi. Campus is astounding, and you'll find yourself sitting on the "Quad" reading or hammocking outside often. Athletics could use some help, especially football. BUT they recently changed the way tail-gating is done, and the campus becomes very alive during tail-gating hours. All the orgaizations pitch up tents, and you can freely roam around and steal food and coozies while watching other popular football games on the Tvs they bring out. If you want the best hamburgers, go to the Pi Kappa Phi tent.. Desserts.. go to Phi Mu.. Our Volleyball is really good. The rec center is awesome, and is free for students. Food gets old after a while, but every now and then when parents/prospective kids come they up the quality of food. The dorms are really nice, especially for girls. Guys.. smith is awesome. Never do you have 90% of the freshmen guys in one building hanging n chilling (until rush starts, then it becomes chaos). Professors care and will gladly arrange appointments to meet with you 1 on 1 and talk through your struggles/concerns. Intramurals are huge, and new teams emerge yearly. We just got Crew and Disc Golf as official teams. Last but not least, Samford requires each student ot have a number of "convo" credits before they can graduate. Convo is basically a point system for attending lectures, movies, concerts, greek life events (occasionally), volunteering, etc. It actually is a great incentive to go to these things.. Like on Friday night no one is in town, but a movie is playing and they are giving 2 convo credits. So I'd go do that, which in turn I would meet people, socialize and meet friends that don't go out of town. If you read all that then you know a little about Samford. Its a great school, and if you have the option to go, do it.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2014