StudentsReview :: The University of Alabama Birmingham - Comments and Student Experiences

Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

The University of Alabama Birmingham

Oct 06 2014Accounting
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I'll go ahead and give you the honest truth. I'm from Alabama and I joined the military. I decided to go to UAB online. Each class costs around $2,000. I started to get to know some of my classmates, even add some on Facebook. I began to realize I, being a Caucasian female, was a minority. Then I realized 90% of people in my class HAD to be going there for free while I was paying $6k a semester. I always wondered why they didn't do military discounts. They simply can't afford it because they have to pay for all of these broke people with family on welfare. It's not fair at all to me. Another thing the teachers LOVE to do is make you work in groups. How in the world could a group project ever go right with everyone living in different states and most of them going here free?! I'll tell you how...it can't! I was stuck doing a 5 person project pretty much by myself. I'm switching to Southern New Hampshire University and letting all of the broke family college students take over this wonderful school.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: F
Sep 17 2014Electrical Engineering
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The Electrical Engineering Department at UAB is broke(n). ALL of the lab equipment is ancient, which makes for a mediocre learning experience when the stuff does work. Given the abyssmal state of the labs, and the lack of funds for student research, emphasis is placed on theory over practical applications. And the student's theory education is routinely disrupted with busywork done to satisfy ABET reporting standards. The school is cozied up to the local power company, which seems to suit many of the unambitious students here; but, for those of us that dream a little bigger, we leave university with little to no experience, and some theory that will mostly go to waste on the jobsite. You will come to appreciate the FEW outstanding professors here, because many of the Jr. and Sr. level courses are still treated as weed-out classes, run by sour old men too stubborn to see that not all students are entitled brats. If you enjoy being treated like a child, having no voice, and frequently dealing with a jaw-dropping amount of administrative stupidity, then you will love it here.
4th Year Male -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: C+, Useful Schoolwork: F
May 16 2014Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
UAB is one of the most diverse schools in US. It offers numerous majors such as mine ID. Overall a great school!
Education Quality: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F