StudentsReview :: The University of Alabama Huntsville - Comments and Student Experiences

Auburn University -- Auburn University, AL

The University of Alabama Huntsville

Awful school

Aug 20 2014Industrial Operations Engineering
Awful school. Teachers are all but useless. Few help even during office hours. Can complain to higher authority but all you get in return is too bad. Appointments with higher ups are obtainable but very difficult. School is only out for research money and could care less if students pass classes. School actually encourages teachers fail students so that they have to retake the class.
5th Year Male -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Useful Schoolwork: F

At UAH you very well may end up

Sep 19 2014Engineering Department
At UAH you very well may end up teaching yourself most of the material. Many of the school's professors are too involved in their own research or don't know how to communicate at the undergraduate level. By that I mean some don't speak english very well, and some don't explain material well at all. The irritating part is that many force you to come to class through quizzes or non-existent course schedules, but you'd be better off at home learning from other sources or teaching yourself. This aspect of the education makes many classes arbitrarily difficult, and teachers make up for that in the end with curved grading systems. In the end, students suffer a deficit of knowledge.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2016
Surrounding City: A+, Individual Value: D

I come from an international background and was

Mar 24 2014Business - Management and Administration
I come from an international background and was not sure as to what expect when coming to school in Huntsville, AL. However, since day one I have felt at home at UAH. Everyone has been really friendly including teachers, administration, and students. Huntsville definitely stands out from other cities in AL attracting a quite multicultural and technological advanced community thanks to the Space and Rocket Center.

I initially came to UAH because I was recruited to play on the tennis team. I have become very involved on campus in different clubs, as well joined a sorority my sophomore year. Social life is what you make it at UAH. It is not going to pop out at you...you have to look for it. Nevertheless, the size of our community enables you to find your preferred social scene pretty easily. Greeks and athletes have a large presence on campus, being the main ones who throw the parties. The downtown bars/clubs scene is visited by much of the same crowd. However, I think that this is probably a minority at UAH as most students are either commuters or prefer to stay in.

Engineering is a big deal at UAH since it is so close to the Redstone Arsenal. The Nursing program is pretty big here too. The College of Business is nationally ranked and is among the top 10% of the nation. The GE classes can start off pretty "easy" but then as you get further along into your major program, classes become more challenging. Students help each other out and create study groups together. My teachers have always been open and easy-accessible.

Most notably, I have found a great group of friends here who I know I will have for a lifetime.
UAH has provided my the opportunity to go to grad school as I am now looking at acceptances to continue my graduate studies at Boston University, George Washington University and The University of Denver.

I would not exchange my experience at UAH for anything. Good luck and go Chargers!

4th Year Female -- Class 2014