StudentsReview :: The University of Alabama - Comments and Student Experiences

Northeastern Illinois University -- Chicago, IL

The University of Alabama

Aug 22 2013Computer Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I cannot believe the amount of foreign professors here at the UofA, it is appalling to charge the amount of money this institution charges and the professors can barley speak English; but yet it's our problem to deal with. If you don't like it leave is basically what I've been told. The math programs here are a joke. The majority of the teachers are in training and learning to become a teacher, which is fine but don't hold me accountable for the poor quality of learning environment I am subject too. It would be more than fine if I wasn't actually graded based on what I learned those classes. My recommendation, learn your math elsewhere. Other than that the sorority and fraternity people overrun the campus with their new buildings on every corner of the campus. The school has grown super fast over the past 4-6 years that the campus has become over crowded and one would feel like they are fighting the spring break crowd at the beach.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F
Aug 22 2013Finance
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This university was great at first. Now it just plain sucks! The Greek system overruns campus badly, too the point that you feel like your a loner. 9/10 of my classes are filled with nothing but snoody Greeks, guys and girls. They think their shit doesn't stink. The school advertises only a 30% Greek pop. And that is far from the truth. I would go as far as too say 60/40. If you plan on taking business, quit now ; go to UAB. The business school is over populated. They require you to take these classes that are bullshit and basically make you spend good money on worthless classes!
4th Year Male -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
May 01 2013Nutrition
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am a Bama by Distance Student and I have to say that I hope the traditional programs are better than the distance. My professors don't respond to emails, sometimes for weeks or months, assignments go ungraded from the beginning of the semester until the last week of class when you're trying to study for finals. I have found that when I do ask questions from the professors the answers are vague and typically not helpful. Also I do an incredible amount of busy work. I appreciate having assignments during classes as it allows you to practice what you're learning but a few classes have 10+ hours of busy work per week...that doesn't include reading or listening to lectures. Plus, in the year I've been here, my degree plan requirements have changed 3 times and this last semester a class that's required to be taken at UA and was supposed to be offered wasn't available to distance students...um, it's a little too much to expect me to commute from Texas to Tuscaloosa twice a week. If they're going to require classes be taken there they should be offered at least once per year.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013