StudentsReview :: The University of Alabama - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Chicago -- Chicago, IL
Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL
Northeastern Illinois University -- Chicago, IL

The University of Alabama

I developed a love for research during my

Jul 07 2002Biology
I developed a love for research during my undergraduate years at BAMA. The University of Alabama provides opprotunities for undergraduate research not found at most universities. I am currently principle investigator and director of research on the Human Genome project at Stanford University. I contribute a large proportion of my successes to the character-building experiences and excellent faculty I was fortunate enough to be exposed to at the Univerity of Alabama.
Starting Job: Assistant Professor Preparedness: - Reputation: -

First of all i'm a little skeptical about

May 01 2002Mechanical Engineering
First of all i'm a little skeptical about that average SAT reported .. . intellectuals on this campus are few and far between outside the engineering department. The business department here is good I hear. The engineering department leaves much to be desired, the buildings are like dungeons, and most have antiquated heating and cooling systems and it is not even regarded as the best in Alabama (Auburn) much less the nation. Don't be fooled by brochures, the campus is not at all picturesque thanks to the constant renovation going on and the roads on campus are shoddy. That is until you reach the business side of campus, where North Face clad Birkenstock wearing, greeks roam free. If you plan to be Greek come here, you'll fit in nicely, individualism is not appreciated. I also have to live with the dubious distinction of getting an engineering degree from a school that ranks in the top two in "hard liquor" and "students who never study." "ROLL TIDE ROLL!!" A good place if you're a business major, or a greek . . .otherwise this is not the place for you. Lots of ditsy beautiful women though . . .
2nd Year Male -- Class 2005
Faculty Accessibility: A-, Education Quality: C-

Well Im gonna start off and say that

Oct 17 2002Chemistry
Well Im gonna start off and say that Im gonna write the truth and not some PR rant.
Its said that the engineering students at UAT are here only because they couldnt get into Auburn or Georgia Tech. Well that might be true, but I feel unline the other hardcore engineering schools we offer a very light and alternative way of schooling.

First off, if you really really wanna be triple integral solving engineer with graduate ambitions, I would not recommend UAT. Most if not all engineering students here are geared to getting out at the undergraduate level and pursuing business interests. If you're into a Enginnering/MBA managament slant you should consider this school.

The coursework by far the most accessible and easiest you will see at an ABET engineering school. I had to make up couple of classes and went transient at Auburn and realised how easy we had it. But at the same time Auburn and Georgia Tech create extremely well versed engineered vs human beings. We have a more lacsadasical and realaxed curriculum the lets your pursue other interests and not only engineering.

To get into this school, you either have to have an 19 on the ACT or 1010 or above on the SAT. High school GPA is relative and doesnt count much.

Anyways, If i were serious about the engineering thing I would have made an effort to get into Auburn, but if given a chance again i'd still go with UAT cause we have the best damn football team and work with my lifestyle perfectly.

5th Year Male -- Class 2006