StudentsReview :: The University of Alabama - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 8
Females 4
Males 4
Avg years at University 2.5
Research Quality B- (6.5)
Research Availability C+ (5.4)
Research Funding C (4.7)
Graduate Politics C+ (5.4)
Errand Runners B (7.3)
Degree Completion B+ (7.9)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B (7.1)
Sufficient Pay C+ (5.8)
Competitiveness B- (6.1)
Education Quality B- (6.1)
Faculty Accessibility B- (6.0)
Useful Research C+ (5.2)
"Individual" treatment C (4.8)
Friendliness C+ (5.4)
Safety B (7.0)
Campus Beauty A- (8.7)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.6)
University Resource/spending C+ (5.6)
Extracurriculars B (7.3)
Success-Understanding B (6.7)
Surrounding City C+ (5.4)
Social Life/Environment C+ (5.7)
Research FundingC
Campus BeautyA-

Pay no attention to the negative comments, a

Jan 16 2014Accounting
Pay no attention to the negative comments, a sports forum named AUFAMILY.com planned the whole thing out to give false negative reviews about UA.As for UA itself, it's amazing. I was not in a fraternity and found it relatively easy to socialize with people. It does seem like people are a bit shy here, but there are a lot of activities to do on campus. Majority of students here do major in business, but UA also has a pretty good arts program, and growing in the science department nationally. I do think there should e more emphasis on Engineering rather than just business, but tgat shouldnt hold anyone from majoring in something, say, civil engineering here. Tuscaloosa is definitely a college town. Economically, it is doing fine despite the natural disasters. My only problem with Tuscaloosa is the apartments are way too expensive and the downtown area is outdated. Students like to naturally stay on campus, the Strip preferably and University Blvd. Overall, UA is a great school with great people. It's still building is what is the great thing. The professors are my only complaint academically. They're uptight, grade hard, and are hard to get in touch with .

I was an out-of-state graduate student with Masters

Aug 05 2011Education
I was an out-of-state graduate student with Masters degree in my field. While I was able to complete my doctoral program in three years (including dissertation) it was not without consequences. The faculty in the Instructional Technology are afraid of anyone that is intelligent and can make a coherent argument. They were mean spirited and did not make time for their graduate students. They were more concerned about enrolling as many graduate students as possible but really did not care if you completed the program.

The coursework was not terribly difficult. A lot of it was a repeat of my introductory courses from my Masters program. Also, I found most of my classmates could operate Internet Explorer. I did have some classmates who (like me) were not from the K-12 sector of education but were eLearning Developers/Instructional Designers. The rest of them were K-12 teachers who quite frankly did not their *** from their elbows. These K-12 teachers were tenured and were only enrolled in the program to get a raise. They had no aspirations of learning how to be eLearning developers. That would be too much outside their comfort zones.

However, if you are white and male and in the college of education, you are treated with disdain. As with any college of education, they are from anti-male and anti-white. I knew of students who were given basically a free-pass on their dissertations because they were of a minority status or some other protected class. Also, the faculty want you write journal articles push their political agendas and opinions (basically crap) and Lord help you if you disagree with them.

Do not waste your time, energy, and the University of Alabama. They paid (2007-2010) graduate teaching/research assistants 14,000 year plus tuition and paid student health plan which is pitiful. While the free tuition is great, the cost of living for a dump in Tuscaloosa has gone up so much that you need to either work full-time or take out student loans to cover other monthly expenses (like prescriptions, food, and gas).

Also the paid student health insurance (Viva Health) is terrible. It is the same plan that the undergraduates get and they deny every claim you make. You have send nasty letters and hire a lawyer in order to get them to pay for anything. In my opinion, you do the same work as the faculty with regards to teaching/research then you should be compensated with their health insurance plan. Also, if you can't find a job after your graduate (happened to me), you cannot draw on unemployment because Alabama State law allows universities and colleges not contribute to your unemployment insurance benefits. They don't have to and they won't. I was told take it up with the state legislature.Do yourself a favor.. If you want to learn about eLearning and/or adult learning and training and be treated like a human being and not have to deal with the insane socialist politics, then go to either University of South Alabama in Mobile, Auburn University, Old Dominion University, University of Virgina, or North Carolina State University.

Jan 12 2006Aerospace Engineering

best place to.......screw ur life...

Research Topic(s): thesis sucks

I really didn’t know much about the school

Aug 30 2004Computer Science
I really didn’t know much about the school until I have visited my self.
I had worked for 3 years for Oracle Corporation before joining UA – Computer Science as a Grad Student. I really had a very good research exposure and I learnt more at UA in the field of Computer Science than any other school I attended or firms I worked for.

Tuscaloosa is not a big metro city (like New York – where I live) but it’s a great place to learn and worth spending your school time here.

Research Topic(s): A Cryptanlysis of Tiny Encryption Algorithm

My experience at UA

Jan 30 2002Business - Management and Administration
My experience at UA was extremely positive. The degree, preparation, and growth that I received from my time there is a major reason for my success today. I received my MBA in 2000 and I can tell you from experience, an Alabama MBA will get attention from recruiters.
The University of Alabama