StudentsReview :: The University of Montevallo - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Illinois -- Chicago, IL

The University of Montevallo

I went as a junior w scholarships andSuper BrilliantSocial Work
I went as a junior w scholarships and at 44 years old.(BSW) They are very bigoted against "mature" students. The younger students are raised very classist and peer herded and the faculty are threatened by your age. The teachers praise one faith and tell jokes about others, even in a math class. Dont let their claim to tolerance and diversity fool you. It is a classist and a religious discrimination driven atmosphere.There is NO PARKING. Youll find out. Theyre used to compulsory attendance high school prisoners and thats how hey speak to students, as if theyre wards with no power or choices. I'm taking my 4.0 to UAB after 2 semesters. Im only completing the 2nd semester because Im trapped in it. The only teacher who isnt a sheep there is Patton. Maybe he'll let you ride to class in his golf cart.Its a cloistering problem for the rest. They talk about inclusive. Because its trendy. But they cant practice it.
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F
My review is a bit, shall we say,AverageUndecided
My review is a bit, shall we say, different. I'm WAY older than the posters of the previous reviews. I graduated high school before they were born. I transferred to the University of Montevallo back in mid 1995 after a two plus years of junior college. I ended up going back to the junior college and getting a degree there. Anyway the reason that I bring up the fact that I am so much older than other posters is because I see that in the TWO decades since I was there, NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING has changed. I spent the first half of my life (from the time I was a child until I actually went there in 1995 at the age of 21) hearing about how dang wonderful the good ole University of Montevallo was. The people that told me that crap could not have been more wrong. It took me 5 minutes to size up that terrible place. The campus is tiny. They offer nothing for the students outside of the classroom. I remember hearing about how easy it was to meet someone of the opposite sex there. Well, tell me, how do you do that when the university sends everyone home every weekend? Yes, they actually send everybody home, each and every weekend. At least wait until the holidays. Christmas, Spring break, etc. It makes NO sense to send all of your students home just because it's the weekend. Tell me, what is the point of having dorms then? There was one guy who was from out of state. As in Tennessee. They tried to get him to go home every weekend, but the guy just couldn't do it. So, bless his heart, I talked my parents into letting him come home with me every weekend just so he wouldn't have to go all the way back to Tennessee every Friday just to have to turn around and come back every Sunday. Well, I felt bad for him when I quit that terrible place and transferred back to junior college. That was my only concern about leaving Montevallo so quickly. He had been staying with me on the weekends, so I was worried he would be forced to have to drive back and forth to Tennessee every weekend thanks to Montevallo's idiotic "go home" policy. But, things worked out for him as well. He told me "no worries man, I'm transferring to UAB!". I was so happy for him and I know he ended up being much better off as a result of it. Oh, and don't get me started on the fact that essential courses are not offered very much. Some of them as little as once a YEAR! That just burned me up. In short, not a thing has changed at the good ole U of M since I was there for a brief stint in the mid-1990's. The junior college that I transferred to Montevallo from (and eventually back to) was nothing special by any means. But, one semester at Monetvallo had me kissing their feet when I returned! The University of Montevallo is the weirdest, strangest, oddest place. And I don't mean just as a college, I mean it's the wierdest place, period! Other schools mock them and laugh at their stringent and unnatural rules. Please, if you are reading this, GO ELSEWHERE. Do NOT get sucked into this joyless, toxic, mean spirited place. Do NOT fall for the sugar coated lies they feed you. You will end up paying good money for a dorm you can only live in SOME of the time. You will pay the kind of money that you would if you were attending a nice size school (like Alabama, Auburn, South Alabama, UAB, Tennessee, etc.) when in fact you will get the commuter school experience. They over promise. They under produce. And in the end, they win. They have your money. And you end up working a job that doesn't require a degree.
1st Year Male -- Class 1996
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Education Quality: F
Choosing Montevallo can beBrightArt & Design Department
Choosing Montevallo can be described as arguably one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. If you like empty fields and working with incredibly apathetic people, this is the school for you.
4th Year Female -- Class 2015