StudentsReview :: Arkansas Tech University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Arkansas Tech University

Okay my review is the honest truth, andAveragePreMed and Medical
Okay my review is the honest truth, and I will cover most thing. For starters, if your an out of state or an international student you will be here on the weekends by yourself. EVERYONE GOES HOME ON THE WEEKENDS! by Friday at noon, the campus looks like a ghost place. The students are such in the rush to go home to the point they leave as soon as their last class is over with on Friday, and they don't come back until Sunday evening. The students are friendly, but some of them I talk to were very sheltered. Parties? When I first came to tech, I didn't know parties existed... it really depends on who you know, but then again not really. There are about four to five or I think six fraternities, but only two of them really throw parties on the weekends. The parties at Tech aren't "Actual Parties" they're more like a kickback its pretty boring, but most have fun by getting drunk. If you're looking for a party school, tech isn't the school for you. They do have social parties on weekends mostly a frat is selling tickets, and they cost $5 and I went to a couple of them, and they were boring you basically have to "pregame" (Get drunk before you get there) so you won't have such a lame time... and they can't provide liquor because the tickets are sold in the school cafe. MOST OF EVERYONE is REPUBLICAN/CONSERVATIVE their very close minded, and the racism is there if you're a minority, but it's not that bad, but you'll know who is racist, well you can tell. Most people come from small towns and don't have any idea what a city is & don't wanna know either. The people I've come across are either into a lot of church or well that's is.. most people here are Christians, some of them are very judgmental, andI never met so many liars and hypocrites until I came here. The professors are nice, they actually care about your education, the problem I have is that the work is compared to middle school... seriously, the work is 2+2 material. It's almost hard to fail a class, and if you fail a class you just didn't go to class AT ALL, and even if you didn't go to class your still able to pass, just go on blackboard and do all the work & turn it in. They'll give busy work, the work is very easy, and won't take less than an hour to finish, you'll think the work will get better when you get to your upper division classes but NOPE, its just easy work, definitely didn't feel challenged at all. The cafeteria food is actually good, but you'll get tired of it quickly. Most of my friends transferred & went to Arkansas state, and different schools mainly because there is never anything to do on Campus. The University knows that most of their students go home by Friday, so when they do have events it's ALWAYS on a Thursday & not on a Friday. This isn't an actual college life type of campus, its mere depressing. I became so depressed here, a lot of people like to spend time in their room, and just watch movies all day & night... nothing is wrong with that, but when you're doing that almost every day, no. If you're interested in Greek Life, it's really weird here, Greeks are more like social clubs, but with really expensive dues...Nobody cares about Greek life here, and also you meet more friends in organizations/clubs than you do in greek life. They don't do much on campus, sometimes I wonder do they exist. If you're having trouble picking dorm buildings, then Nutt dorm building is really nice, but its really quiet, and if you wanna make friends I don't think I'll choose nutt, many people aren't social there. Then you have mstreet dorm building, its the messiest, social, noisemaking building. Mstreet always have a police at their building because the students that live there either have liquor or marijuana, the amount of noise you hear is incredibly loud! you cant even study, and if you join the first year learning program, that will either make you actually like it or hate it... but if you do the first year learning program, just know you'll either meet some of your best friends, or you'll meet people you just don't like, and everyone knows each other in the program but it's also the messiest program, word gets around quick, and just don't move in tucker its boring, jones or any of those. Speaking of word getting around quick, ATU students have a habit of not keeping their mouth shut, don't tell anyone anything because they will spread it around, being here is like high school all over again, but worst because you have to live here. The freshmen are of course childish, and the students here has nothing to do with their boring lives but start drama. Also if you think their your friend, their not after the first semester. For the most part, everyone either transfer or just don't come back, either way, the boredom of this school has put me in a miserable state and your better off going to an community college and transferring to a real college with real parties, either way im transferring by the end of this semester.
1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: F
THIS IS THE MOST AWFUL SCHOOL I HAVEQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
THIS IS THE MOST AWFUL SCHOOL I HAVE EVER BEEN TO. The staff was SO RUDE TO ME it was ridiculous-anywhere from the admissions office to my professors. The professors I had were all foreign, so it was extremely hard to understand them. On top of, my credits didn't transfer like they should have, so I would have had to go an extra TWO YEARS if I continued there. I will NEVER step foot back in this school again.
1st Year Female -- Class 2013
University Resource Use/ spending: B-, Education Quality: F
I think Arkansas Tech is not a veryNot so brightBiology
I think Arkansas Tech is not a very good school, compared to other schools they are lacking in the technology area in some departments. Some of the faculty are racists and there isn't a diversity of people on the campus. Also, did you know how many black professors teach their...hmm...just a thought. I first-hand experienced racism towards me and as well as other students to the point where our work was disrupted. I had a hard time dealing with some of the faculty as well as other students having a hard time as well. Most people from arkansas (not minority) enjoy this school but most people from out of state usually transfer out the next semester. I did transfer to a bigger university in arkansas (as well as other students from ATU) and It was so much better. If your a minority I would definitely consider another school.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2007