StudentsReview :: Ouachita Baptist University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Maryland College Park -- College Park, MD
University of Maryland Baltimore -- Baltimore, MD
Saint Mary's College of Maryland -- St. Mary's City, MD

Ouachita Baptist University

The school is an excellent school to growQuite BrightOther
The school is an excellent school to grow as a Christian,if the opportunity is taken advantage of. Not necessarily in the classroom, but through others. However, there are the "high & mighty Christians" & the "Ask for forgiveness later Christians". Both groups are very critical of the other & there are a very few who are in between. I am an African American & I must say that the diversity in this campus is absolutely horrible. I don't know how many times it is assumed that I play some kind of sport because it just isn't common for African Americans to have brains. & when the professors find that out, they constantly feel the need to tell you how impressed they are... Translation: "Let's praise the black kids so they won't go to jail or get pregnant & drop out." It may not be exactly the case, but many feel that way. Ouachita is apparently this "perfect world" that I only get to hear my snobby classmates how their family has been it for generations, but I don't think I'll ever get to witness for myself because Ouachita STILL hasn't given minorities the chance to enter. If don't feel welcome.. Why Am I here? Mainly because I need them to know that 1. I'm only here to grow as a Christian, get my degree, & show them that I will make it simply because I can.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: F
I transferred to Ouachita from a big stateBrightAccounting
I transferred to Ouachita from a big state school. At the time of transfer I was sheltered, close minded, and extremely conservative. My idea of fun was playing a board game or video games with friends. If that sound like you, then this school is the perfect place. It really is just a second round of high school. If you aren't a Christian, you will stick out big time (just a warning) and have a tough experience here. Many of the students here are PK's, were home schooled, or just come from a very sheltered life.

Yes, the girls do hold the majority of the population, but for some reason this school attracts the most bunk looking chicks I've ever seen. Not saying that there aren't attractive girls, you just have to search for them.

You should know that as a student you sign a contract agreeing that you will not drink any alcohol at any time until you graduate from OBU. Of course, hardly anybody keeps their word, but you have to be careful at the same time. Clark County just became a wet county a few years ago, so there are a few liquor stores now but expect to pay a premium for any booze you want. Oh, and there is only 1 bar in Caddo Valley that's very shady..but I guess you have to take what you can get.

Sports are a joke (just like high school). Arkadelphia has recently been putting effort in keeping its students in town on the weekends, but fails miserably. 0 night life, and 0 weekend life. One of the saddest parts of this town is that there are plenty of churches, but they are all fairly poor in quality. I guess it's just the fact that it's a small town. But seriously, there is not a lot to get out of them, which surprised me with such a great Baptist school in the town.

There is no Greek Life here. There are "social clubs". I considered pledging the Beta's when I first arrived, but after meeting some of the guys decided against it. They try way too hard to be "fratty". The people involved in the social clubs here are very hypocritical and are some of the biggest try hards I've ever seen in my life. Also, the students in general here sort of live in their own little fairy land. Our school does not prepare us well for the real world and I'm afraid that many graduates experience a serious reality check. A big problem our school has is that there really are not a lot of recruiters that come to OBU because it is such a small school. As an accounting student, the only firm that comes here is BKD which isn't really that impressive at all.

With all of that being said, there are some things about OBU that set it apart from other schools. As an outdoorsman, I absolutely love the fact that I can be 5 minutes away from my duck hole down the rode. I love the fact that Lake DeGray is only 15 min away where you can canoe, kayak, swim, or just chill on the "beach". Hot Springs and Little Rock aren't too far away either. When it's warm, my all time favorite thing to do is float the river. This is a very popular activity here.

My advice? Unless you grew up in a sheltered home, are homeschooled, or went to LRCA (little rock christian academy), go to a state school and enjoy a real college experience. Yes, I like it here, but know that I spend as little time on campus as possible. I'm only here for the degree.

4th Year Male -- Class 2014
Scholastic Success: A+, Friendliness: F
OBU was an incredible experience for me.Communications
OBU was an incredible experience for me. Not only did I make amazing friends, I also got an education that broadened my understanding and helped me cope with the real world. It has a strong regional presence in Arkansas and Dallas. My first job came from a headhunter who searched Monster.com for resumes from OBU graduates. (And it was an amazing job!)

If you plan to live/work in the South, OBU is definitely the place to be. Even 5 years after graduation, I can still get recommendation letters from professors and I have close connections to people all over the United States. I currently live in LA, and my OBU friends here are great.My only word of caution is if you are looking to work in a different bigger job market, you may be better suited going to a college (or graduate school) in that region for the career and alumni connections; however, for me OBU helped prepare me for life and I wouldn't trade it.

Compare OBUSave OBU