StudentsReview :: The University of Arkansas - Fort Smith - Comments and Student Experiences

Princeton Theological Seminary -- Princeton, NJ
Cornell College -- Mount Vernon, IA
John Brown University -- Siloam Springs, AR

The University of Arkansas - Fort Smith

I decided to go to college on a whim.Not so brightNursing
I decided to go to college on a whim. I am 27 with two kids and very little education to start with. I want my LPN and possibly RN in the future. I came here because I had two friends who also went, and that's pretty much all I knew about it. Since I don't have other college experience to pull from I don't know how helpful my comments will be but here they are regardless. There is not much diversity on campus. I am obviously an outsider due to my age most of the people I have met are super young (More power to them!) I feel that they force you to take classes not relevant to your major and I have found the advisers and financial aid staff to be absolutely worthless. The professors tend to lean towards the younger folks when giving assignments. I have felt overwhelmed and alone most of my time here. My algebra class moves through subjects so quickly there isn't much time for someone like me who didn't just get out of highschool to catch on to new things. The only good experience has been with my Algebra teacher Ms Foss, She is a straight forward no bullshit lady but also caring at the same time if that makes sense. She has never made me feel stupid and so for that I am thankful. The parking here SUCKS. Beyond sucks. If you don't show up 30 minutes early just count on being late because there isn't enough parking for the amount of students who go here. I am planning on getting out of UAFS as soon as I can and transferring to Arkansas Tech. I wouldn't recommend this school, they have crappy ratings across the board and I have often felt once they get their money they aren't interested in your success.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
As with all schools, UAFS has its' downfalls,Quite BrightEducation
As with all schools, UAFS has its' downfalls, but must be credited with the fact that it has improved dramatically over the years. I majored in English with Teacher Licensure, which required that I be part of the English department in addition to the College of Education. I found the faculty in the English department to be approachable, helpful, kind, and knowledgable. While I hope things have changed, I cannot say the same of my experience in the College of Ed. Nevertheless, the College of Education is very well-respected in the area, and any student seeking to get a job in the River Valley would do well to attend UAFS.

UAFS is perfect for those of us with a no-nonsense approach to earning a degree. While I was a "traditional" student, I transfered to UAFS my sophomore year for a more affordable education and therefore did not need the "college experience" at UAFS. I liked being able to go to class and leave without being bothered by 8,000 people trying to get me to participate in this event or that organization. I was free to complete my studies without the pressure of keeping up my appearance.Fort Smith isn't the most progressive town, nor is it the most interesting... but you can get a fairly good education if you are willing to put in some effort.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Innovation: D
My advice would be to go some otherNot so bright
My advice would be to go some other place than UAFS if you are young. Fort Smith is a rotten town filled with a lot of rotten people w/ no sense of humor. No one smiles in this town. If you smile they thank your looney.You are just a number at UAFS. Most appear to look unhappy here, and seem to be afraid to just speak to one another. College should be a good environment that encourges interaction not depressing one. My advice would be just go out of state if you are looking for a sound overall experience.I have never been around so may shallow people in all my life. The people that are nice just seem so shy, or afraid what others may think of them if they even speak up during a lecture here. If you in to that then go for it, you may enjoy the UAFS experience here.
1st Year Male -- Class 2002