StudentsReview :: Arizona State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Arizona State University

Two people have committed suicide during the pastEngineering Department
Two people have committed suicide during the past three years I've been here and some I've heard want to do the same.

ASU is uninspiring especially their over-crowded engineering programs.
Why hire someone who doesn't speak English clearly? Why are upper division classes still 200+ students?Get your shit together. End of story.

more→Feb 27 2015
Study hard and takeQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Study hard and take the initiative. At a large research university you have to be 100% invested in what you get out of your education. This includes communicating with your professors and not expecting them to come to you if you have a problem.
more→Feb 12 2015
Starting Job: Management Assistant; Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A+
The whole program is a joke.Computer Science
The whole program is a joke. The Teachers here don't care about your grades and they only care about their research. There are only a handful of teachers that can actually teach, which I am grateful for. But for the rest, students will struggle unless you already know the subject or have retaken the class. The first two semesters were not too bad, but once you get into the upper level classes, they become exponentially difficult.

There is one class, I think that would make my whole experience better with the upper division classes. That class is CSE 240. The teacher was just awful, just spoke about the concept but you have to teach everything yourself. Plus there is a project that where you have to code it in a language that is one of the most hardest to grasp and we were only taught it for one month or less. One thing that I hated was that in the upper levels, we are required to know C/C++. They one taught C/C++ for one month in the CSE 240 class and it wasn't even that great. Then in your CSE 310 Class you should know everything about it. I heard from other schools that C/C++ is being taught as a basis then Java and the rest are picked up from there on. I hope the program here gets better because there are students who are willing to learn and are hanging on but are getting discouraged by these selfish teachers. I hope they find TEACHERS not just people that are bright and that cannot communicate the subject. Moreover, it does not help if those teachers are condescending. Why the hell would you want to teach if you are just going to be an arrogant bastard? How did they decide on these teachers when they are applying for the job?Overall, the CS Department cannot get their shit together. Yes, I will be rude. I paid to go to this school and I will fight to get my money's worth. On top of that, I think The president of the school is making this school for profit. We have too many students and half or even less than half maybe about 46% drop out from here. It is easy to get in, but students will get screwed over by teacher who are not qualified. Another note, and I am not racist, but there are an influx of international students this year. It makes me wonder if it is true that the department are lying to these students stating this school is great and have 80% of students passing just to attract them. Also I wonder if it is true that ASU are attracting these rich students so they can get their money and with those students they do this system where they hired someone else to go to school for them. ASU is allowing this cheating to happen. Beware, I have a feeling that something is going on within ASU and how greedy they are.

more→Dec 07 2014