StudentsReview :: Arizona State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Arizona State University

The Geography program at ASU will make youGeography and Geosciences
The Geography program at ASU will make you want to jump off a cliff. In our Geography program, we have covered tons of other majors while still maintaining the title "Geography".

ASU's administration goes with the "Who needs Geographers when we can use our cell phones and computers to locate places on earth?" idea that Geographers are unworthy. So, because us Geographers are unworthy, we are forced to study other subjects non-geography related, just to earn a degree in Geography.

In order to earn a degree in Geography you will have to master a second language, science, economics, communication, political science. My point here is that you will be blindsided by the range of topics you will be discussing during your Geography classes. Be prepared.

Most of the classes you will take in Geography will be Hybrid courses where you will be in class rooms with 100-400 other students along with the ridiculously formatted online homework assignments and quizzes that are always due at midnight of set date. Then you come back to class and take a test that doesn't even cover anything that we were told to study. Most of the questions that eventually end up on these tests are usually BURIED DEEP WITHIN AN OVERPRICED TEXTBOOK THAT WE SELDOMLY USE.

Some of my geography classes cover tons of Sympathy/Guilt-bating topics like "Impoverished India" or Impoverished Africa. In your GCU 102 class, you will have to watch movies(plural, you will watch many of these movies) of Indian people starving themselves and that white people should be ashamed of themselves for allowing these Indian people to starve themselves. These were very awkward movies to watch, even more awkward when there are about 20 Indian students surrounding you in your class. To a degree, Africa is covered in this same light as well. At the conclusion of this course, you will learn that the worlds problems are the fault of the "White Man". Well, according to the lazy ASU professor and/or the words of the company that published the textbooks for our course. No, the teachers will not question what is written in the textbook. Even if it is inflammatory or even stereotypical.

The teachers just teach by the book, lecture you on their views of these world problems and then take points off your grade if you don't agree with them. Meaning, if you want to discuss these topics intellectually, prepare to lose points!

There are many other issues I have had, but I only chose to highlight these topics in particular.Geography major + ASU student = Get ready to pay a HIGH price for your degree!

Two people have committed suicide during the pastEngineering Department
Two people have committed suicide during the past three years I've been here and some I've heard want to do the same.

ASU is uninspiring especially their over-crowded engineering programs.
Why hire someone who doesn't speak English clearly? Why are upper division classes still 200+ students?Get your shit together. End of story.

The whole program is a joke.Computer Science
The whole program is a joke. The Teachers here don't care about your grades and they only care about their research. There are only a handful of teachers that can actually teach, which I am grateful for. But for the rest, students will struggle unless you already know the subject or have retaken the class. The first two semesters were not too bad, but once you get into the upper level classes, they become exponentially difficult.

There is one class, I think that would make my whole experience better with the upper division classes. That class is CSE 240. The teacher was just awful, just spoke about the concept but you have to teach everything yourself. Plus there is a project that where you have to code it in a language that is one of the most hardest to grasp and we were only taught it for one month or less. One thing that I hated was that in the upper levels, we are required to know C/C++. They one taught C/C++ for one month in the CSE 240 class and it wasn't even that great. Then in your CSE 310 Class you should know everything about it. I heard from other schools that C/C++ is being taught as a basis then Java and the rest are picked up from there on. I hope the program here gets better because there are students who are willing to learn and are hanging on but are getting discouraged by these selfish teachers. I hope they find TEACHERS not just people that are bright and that cannot communicate the subject. Moreover, it does not help if those teachers are condescending. Why the hell would you want to teach if you are just going to be an arrogant bastard? How did they decide on these teachers when they are applying for the job?Overall, the CS Department cannot get their shit together. Yes, I will be rude. I paid to go to this school and I will fight to get my money's worth. On top of that, I think The president of the school is making this school for profit. We have too many students and half or even less than half maybe about 46% drop out from here. It is easy to get in, but students will get screwed over by teacher who are not qualified. Another note, and I am not racist, but there are an influx of international students this year. It makes me wonder if it is true that the department are lying to these students stating this school is great and have 80% of students passing just to attract them. Also I wonder if it is true that ASU are attracting these rich students so they can get their money and with those students they do this system where they hired someone else to go to school for them. ASU is allowing this cheating to happen. Beware, I have a feeling that something is going on within ASU and how greedy they are.

Arizona State University