StudentsReview :: Arizona State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Arizona State University

Dec 07 2014Computer Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The whole program is a joke. The Teachers here don't care about your grades and they only care about their research. There are only a handful of teachers that can actually teach, which I am grateful for. But for the rest, students will struggle unless you already know the subject or have retaken the class. The first two semesters were not too bad, but once you get into the upper level classes, they become exponentially difficult.

There is one class, I think that would make my whole experience better with the upper division classes. That class is CSE 240. The teacher was just awful, just spoke about the concept but you have to teach everything yourself. Plus there is a project that where you have to code it in a language that is one of the most hardest to grasp and we were only taught it for one month or less. One thing that I hated was that in the upper levels, we are required to know C/C++. They one taught C/C++ for one month in the CSE 240 class and it wasn't even that great. Then in your CSE 310 Class you should know everything about it. I heard from other schools that C/C++ is being taught as a basis then Java and the rest are picked up from there on. I hope the program here gets better because there are students who are willing to learn and are hanging on but are getting discouraged by these selfish teachers. I hope they find TEACHERS not just people that are bright and that cannot communicate the subject. Moreover, it does not help if those teachers are condescending. Why the hell would you want to teach if you are just going to be an arrogant bastard? How did they decide on these teachers when they are applying for the job?Overall, the CS Department cannot get their shit together. Yes, I will be rude. I paid to go to this school and I will fight to get my money's worth. On top of that, I think The president of the school is making this school for profit. We have too many students and half or even less than half maybe about 46% drop out from here. It is easy to get in, but students will get screwed over by teacher who are not qualified. Another note, and I am not racist, but there are an influx of international students this year. It makes me wonder if it is true that the department are lying to these students stating this school is great and have 80% of students passing just to attract them. Also I wonder if it is true that ASU are attracting these rich students so they can get their money and with those students they do this system where they hired someone else to go to school for them. ASU is allowing this cheating to happen. Beware, I have a feeling that something is going on within ASU and how greedy they are.

Nov 23 2014Anthropology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
It is VERY expensive and not worth $11,000 a year. Some professors are very helpful, while others are extremely critical especially when grading. While walking around campus you have to constantly watch out for cyclists who completely disregard everyone around them. People on bikes will zoom past you, sometimes within inches of hitting you, and some tend to ride without holding the handle bars while talking on their cell phones. I DO NOT recommend attending ASU to anyone.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: B-, Education Quality: F
Oct 27 2014Computer Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Absolutely awful. I cannot stress how angry I have become after going through this program. The department does not care about you at all. Advisor gave you the wrong information? Oh well, you're stuck here for another year paying a ton more money. Can't find a professor to teach a 400 level course? Better make this graduate student that knows very little on the subject teach it for the first time. This program does everything to waste your money.

The program itself does not help you learn anything useful for the real world- it's simply another degree mill. When I finally got to take my capstone I wanted to cry after reading some of the project required skills. They expect you to know things you were never taught at this school.

And don't forget about the price! As an 'engineering' student you have to pay about 500-1000 bucks more a semester. Why? The facilities here are absolutely awful. No outlets in the computer science classrooms? Bathroom faucets don't work, air conditioning is non-existent, and it always smells.

The beginning of the program was not bad. The first 100 and 200 level courses were great because the professors were awesome. However, this program really needs new upper level professors because there are maybe 2 that are worth taking. The rest are just here for research so they don't give a damn about their classes.

You might say I am bitter and angry just because I'm doing poorly. Not so. I have a 4.0 GPA, but I feel like I have learned nothing. I absolutely hate this school and everything it stands for.

4th Year Female -- Class 2015