StudentsReview :: Arizona State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Arizona State University

Jul 08 2008PreMed and Medical
Where do I start?
First off I'll compliment the staff at ASU, they really put up with stupid, immature, snotty ass kids. I couldn't count how many times we'd have california kids snap off at a professor because they get a D on their paper/exam and threaten to have their mommy and daddy call the school. Same goes for the east coast kids.

There are 3 types of people that you will see at ASU.
1. Arizonans who did not get into U of A (pretty good school). These kids are the ones who you will see chanting "F U of A!" and start all this stupid school rivalry that makes no sense, (ASU kids secretly go down to Tucson on the weekends and party) while the U of A kids come up to Tempe/Scottsdale to party.

2. California kids (make up the bulk) These kids couldn't get into the California school system because they are dumb as a rock. They walk around campus thinking they own the place and only hang out with other californians, most of the girls look like paris hilton, very skinny and bleached blonde, (I knew several girls who's daddy bought them boobs at 17-18)

Forget about talking to these girls unless you're an abercrombie model or have rich parents like they do.

The guys are all roided up,the usual douchebags who wear board shorts and flip flops.
These two kinds of people only hang out with each other, forget about joining their group, if they do accept you, you will probably want to kill yourself after a week of hanging out with them.

3. The east coast kids, these kids moved out to AZ because the weather sucks in the east coast and because AZ is close to LA/Vegas.

These kids are typical NJ/NY GUIDOS that have blow out haircuts, are roided, wear goofy sunglasses like soulja boy, wear affliction/Armani X-Change, and refer to everyone by "yo dawg" even though most of these kids are from upstate NY or Long-Island but claim they are from "the city".

These kids are the biggest wigger, and you will see them driving around their parents mercedes/bmw while blasting their shitty east coast music.

The east coast jersey girls? ugh, forget about talking to them, you give them a kiss on the cheek and half of their make up falls off and sticks on your face, most look like clowns and talk very funny.

As you can see, it is almost impossible to sit through a lecture with all these types of people next to oyu, either chatting it up on AIM, or looking at their myspace pictures, or on facebook looking for "parties and friends to add"...If you are serious about school and don't fit under these 3 categories of people, ASU is NOT for you, if you wanna go to a nice climate but not pay California school system money, try U of A in Tucson.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2009
Jun 28 2008Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I decided to go to ASU because I could work at a nearby school with sped. kids. That being said, I have to admit that I am concerned that both of my degrees (BS in Psych. and Sociology) as well as my minor in statistics have left me woefully unprepared for graduate school. The professors refuse to engage in conversations that are not directly related to their own research material, parking is ridiculous, class schedules are convoluted and do not fit well with people who work, and the other students are an embarrassment to humanity. For example, after leaving two hours early from work to get into one of the three offered basic geography classes, I sat through an hour long conversation between one student and the lecturer on Occam's razor. What a joke!This is all in addition to the exodus of programs to various locations around the valley. In order to double major I must attend two sites 30 miles away from each other.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2009
Campus Maintenance: A, Collaboration/Competitive: F
Apr 24 2008Political Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I have received a couple of good perks while attending ASU as a Barrett Honors College student. My professors in The Human Event and the honors ENG 102 courses taught me how to write strong papers, a skill that will help me with the rest of my academic career. From now until I graduate, I also get the privilege to register for classes a week earlier than everybody else, which ensures that I get the schedule that I want. Though these benefits make the Barrett Honors College seem like a sanctuary within ASU, it is a complete mess in reality.

Barrett Honors College is horribly disorganized. Though I had helpful and informative professors, many others that I knew did not have the same luck. Several other Human Event professors do not allow their students to discuss ideas that are different from their own. Such bias had gone as far as lowering a student's grade on his/her thesis papers. I would have thought that all Human Event professors would be required to allow students to discuss their thoughts without persecution.

Another example of disorganization is the study abroad program through the honors college. I am currently signed up to go to China on May 15, yet I, along with several dozen other students, were never informed of how much tuition would be until April 23. Is it really that difficult to give at least an estimate of the tuition costs during the information meetings back in the Fall semester, instead of waiting until 2 days before the payment deadline to tell us we owe an extra $1500? The program thus far has been nothing but one hidden cost after another, and you are expected to pay those costs (ranging from hundreds to thousands of dollars) in a very limited time. If the trip itself does not make up for these expenses, I will NEVER register for another study abroad session again.

Finally, the college completely disorganizes the student's life. Students have the responsibility of managing their time wisely, but many assignments given through honors courses simply take up too much of it. Requiring a student to read for 4 or more hours for a single class is heinous when that student has other classes (especially honors classes)to worry about. I can still learn how to write effectively and read critically without being forced to dramatically lower my standards in all of my other classes. Why, then, does Barrett Honors College require students to needlessly sacrifice so much time and energy? I've also had to give up all extracurricular activities just to get my assignments done on time for nearly the entire year, thus making me gain an extra 5lbs. The honors courses should be about making us think, not making us ruin the rest of our lives.

If you do not mind putting up with severe bias, shelling out thousands of dollars at the last minute, giving up all of your time, and/or come close to failing all of your other classes in order to pass one honors course, then Barrett Honors College is the perfect place for you. Otherwise, you will probably hate it. Your college experience should be about learning and living, not one or the other.

1st Year Female -- Class 2011