StudentsReview :: Arizona State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Arizona State University

Campus News:

Feeling foul

I would not recommend that anyone attend this

Oct 28 2007Art & Design Department
I would not recommend that anyone attend this university for the art program. The facilities are disgusting. They are basically dilapidated and should probably be condemned. The people that work in the art department are hateful and rude. They are not helpful. Some of the faculty members are really friendly and helpful, but you deal with many graduate students. They are unprofessional and useless. The advising is the worst. You have to jump through hoops just to get into classes you need for your major. The advisers are not faculty members. They don't know what classes are offered or what classes you need to take. There is a lot of hassle and confusion.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2009
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Innovation: F

I am from the midwest, and ASU was

Oct 18 2007Finance
I am from the midwest, and ASU was my dream school since middle school and I wanted nothing more than to be here. Although the dorms are nice and the weather is gorgeous thats about it. Good luck finding anyone here that has any substance and cares about more than sex, partying and drinking. Can you say Barbie and Ken go to college??? If you aren't a blonde with a boob job, or daddys credit card and a Benz then don't even bother trying to talk to any of these people because chances are they'd rather not speak to you. All the guys want ass and thats about it too. In a school of 60,000 you think you'd be able to find people that are like you, but the fact that a normal person like me has to SEARCH for people that have values, school spirit, substance, a BRAIN, makes it not worth the 27g's to be here. Hate to say it, but the school is overratted, and all you Cali people who can't get into your own state schools, you are doing a fabulous job of making Arizona almost as superficial and fake as your own state!
1st Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: B+, Individual Value: F

I have received a couple of good perks

Apr 24 2008Political Science
I have received a couple of good perks while attending ASU as a Barrett Honors College student. My professors in The Human Event and the honors ENG 102 courses taught me how to write strong papers, a skill that will help me with the rest of my academic career. From now until I graduate, I also get the privilege to register for classes a week earlier than everybody else, which ensures that I get the schedule that I want. Though these benefits make the Barrett Honors College seem like a sanctuary within ASU, it is a complete mess in reality.

Barrett Honors College is horribly disorganized. Though I had helpful and informative professors, many others that I knew did not have the same luck. Several other Human Event professors do not allow their students to discuss ideas that are different from their own. Such bias had gone as far as lowering a student's grade on his/her thesis papers. I would have thought that all Human Event professors would be required to allow students to discuss their thoughts without persecution.

Another example of disorganization is the study abroad program through the honors college. I am currently signed up to go to China on May 15, yet I, along with several dozen other students, were never informed of how much tuition would be until April 23. Is it really that difficult to give at least an estimate of the tuition costs during the information meetings back in the Fall semester, instead of waiting until 2 days before the payment deadline to tell us we owe an extra $1500? The program thus far has been nothing but one hidden cost after another, and you are expected to pay those costs (ranging from hundreds to thousands of dollars) in a very limited time. If the trip itself does not make up for these expenses, I will NEVER register for another study abroad session again.

Finally, the college completely disorganizes the student's life. Students have the responsibility of managing their time wisely, but many assignments given through honors courses simply take up too much of it. Requiring a student to read for 4 or more hours for a single class is heinous when that student has other classes (especially honors classes)to worry about. I can still learn how to write effectively and read critically without being forced to dramatically lower my standards in all of my other classes. Why, then, does Barrett Honors College require students to needlessly sacrifice so much time and energy? I've also had to give up all extracurricular activities just to get my assignments done on time for nearly the entire year, thus making me gain an extra 5lbs. The honors courses should be about making us think, not making us ruin the rest of our lives.

If you do not mind putting up with severe bias, shelling out thousands of dollars at the last minute, giving up all of your time, and/or come close to failing all of your other classes in order to pass one honors course, then Barrett Honors College is the perfect place for you. Otherwise, you will probably hate it. Your college experience should be about learning and living, not one or the other.

1st Year Female -- Class 2011