StudentsReview :: Arizona State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Arizona State University

Oct 17 2014Linguistics
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Like many other universities, ASU is essentially a for-profit business operating under the guise of "public education". They invest all of their money in their stupid sports programs and attracting lazy rich kids who will spend more money while on campus. The only reason I attended this college was because I would receive in-state tuition and be able to live with family while in school. Since I am paying my own way through school, the financial aspect is important, and was the deciding factor in my enrollment there. While I've had some good professors at ASU, the overall environment is toxic, overpopulated, and profit-driven. I'd caution against attending this institution if you are academically focused in any way. Even highly social academics may end up hating this place.

I would strongly caution older students against going here. You are going to feel like you are attending school at a high-school kegger rather than a public university. I'm probably somewhat young in comparison to some of the older students on this campus, and I certainly feel out of place here. I can't imagine what someone in their late thirties or forties feels like here.

Another note, transportation and parking is ridiculous. The campus (and rest of the Tempe area) is really spread out, making it super inconvenient to get around without a car. However, the parking fees, and the constant traffic related-congestion right next to the university is just absurd. As I said, this school is best for rich party-kids.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: B+, Individual Value: F
Sep 06 2014Finance
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am a resident of VA. My son attends ASU. On Sept 5 the Tempe Police stormed into my sons apartment at University Place. My son was eating a hamburger watching TV and his roommate was asleep. The police came in accused him of drinking (he had not been, a breath test confirmed this) They accused him of throwing cans from his apartment. He was not there at the time of the incident. They arrested him for disorderly conduct when he protested being arrested for no good reason.

The Tempe police denied my son a phone call and took his cell phone away from him. My son was forced to stay the night in jail which he said was terrifying. The next morning he was shackled, yes shackled and brought into the Court to hear the charges against him. The D.A. said he could pay 150.00 to go to a reform class and the charges would be expunged from his record.

I am in disbelief and am appalled at the manner the police treated my son. Guilty until proven innocent. Is this really the way Tempe AZ wants to be seen?

This is a boy who has NEVER been in any trouble of any sort. He is level headed and smart. He really wanted to attend A.S.U. but now I hope to transfer him out of the state as our whole family is very disillusioned with the ?Police State? of Tempe.

I work in the travel industry. I will not hesitate to inform my clients of this incident when looking for venues for events.

This incident should be an embarrassment to the City of Tempe, A.S.U. and Maricopa County.
Sincerely,
Julie Wood

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Faculty Accessibility: F
Jul 23 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I hate ASU, they only want money and are only interested in funding their stupid sports program. They "don't allow" underage drinking or illegal substances, yet do nothing if they discover someone breaking the rule/law. Party school to the extreme. Many students are rude, think they're "soooo coool" and unwelcoming toward the serious students who are actually there to learn and study.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015