StudentsReview :: Arizona State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Arizona State University

In many ways, the successful ASU experience is

Aug 06 2013Social Work
In many ways, the successful ASU experience is a reflection of an individual?s confidence, efforts, and assertiveness. One gets what one goes after. It is much like life. If you sit back and want everything spoon fed to you then this is not the right university for you and maybe a trade or vocational school is something you should consider. If your spirit is not entrepreneurial and you want to go work every day and be told exactly what to do, then ASU is not the right university for you. However, if you are willing to think creatively, standup, and speak out, then this might be the right place for you. To be successful one needs to learn to be a responsible adult and take ownership of each situation that is presented both on and off campus. Excuses don?t work in life and they don?t work at a major university. For me, it is a wonderful school in most every way.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B

I just want to state that ASU is

Jul 08 2013Chemistry
I just want to state that ASU is not a good university. To explain myself, ASU falls into the category of over rated. The education supports foreign students over the in state college graduates. I know because i am from Hapur India. Proof of this is the research opportunities. My friends and I (who are from India)send emails to all of the instructors for undergraduate research. All 6 of us from India get research positions, and the AZ in state student doesnt get crap. I have seen his resume and he had better credentials than we did, yet he got jipped. In fact he helped us build our resume. I got it after 3 emails and he got 38 denies. To be honest, i dont even know what im doing in the lab, i literally just bullshit and get paid by the U:S and my home country to go to school here. The second reason why ASU is overrated is because it is not even a party school. Check this out, beside the dorms which only 20% of students live in alung with myself, there is one street called Mill Avenue were we hang out. On this street there are about 13 different bars in which you can go, and you have to be over 21 which i am. A huge party school really? They film one pool party and call it a rage. People in India party harder and the girls there have actually passed sex ed. My final reason is that when i graduate and get my pharmacuetical license at U of A (research almost garauntees me an entry)I will be able to get a job back at home where i will live like a god. My arizona friend will be stuck working at a gas station until he is accepted and when he does get accepted, he will be paying off his loans working for a man named Tarik. Ha Ha,i will be taking over my dads practice back in India at the age of 27 making over 60 million rupees (1 million US dollars around) a year telling people what to do. Now let me tell you some secrets that ASU doesn't tell you. First off ASU has a connection with the schools of India. It is known as the ISA. They basically connect with us to come to your school and raise your GPA. That is why we have to hold around a 3.5 to keep our tuition paid which is easy. They pay us through the ISA by taking money from your tuition to give to us. Around 2/5 of us are terrible at English so we get people to do our papers for us. Another secret is that with students from the United States, they are not terribly dumb. A lot of rumors state that the students from the US are lazy and things. You guys are not lazy, you just have other things you got to maintain while going to school. My routine for example is wake up coffee, play the guitar while i wait for class, go to class, buy a bagel from Einsteins go work at the PSH building for research, finish homework, go get hookah by hitting the light rail. and go to bed. On weekends I usually do the homework and then play PS3. To be honest I know more than 50% of the ASU students do more than that but I get often harrassed for having it easy. Dont give me something and then call me names. The US provided my with the easy road and i just laugh about. Think, you got people in your own country who have problems and are really smart and you just give us these opportunities instead of bettering your own country. I even have a dental plan here for being out of country. I even can get a job here over your own citizens. ASU treats the average student here like a number. The only difference is that my number counts. Ha Ha. Just letting you know.

ASU has a lot of hype coming from

Sep 24 2013Economics
ASU has a lot of hype coming from huge amounts of Graduate-level research programs. The undergraduate program however is a dismal failure.

Arizona public schools are 48th in the country, but ASU has an effective mandate to accept anyone who successfully graduates from that system into the colleges. This requires making the courses much more basic and remedial as about 50% of the student body are not intellectually ready for college.

Additionally, the administrative systems are barely functional when dealing with the registrar's office, and the churn rate at various college administrative and advising staff is so great, that I had 6 different, "new" advisors in 3 years in a single program, and 4 different Deans in 4 years.

This attrition rate for staff means poor communication with students with the ever-changing graduation or class pre-requisites requirements , often resulting in students having to pay additional tuition during the summer to graduate on time.

Now at most colleges, your major road-map does not change between declaring your major your freshman year, but at ASU, mid-tier required classes do change their pre-requisite courses, which can have catastrophic effects on your graduation requirements.

Example: ECN 221 (Business Statistics) or STP 226 (Elementary Statistics) are interchangeable for an intro statistics course, and function as an interchangeable pre-requisite course for higher level stats, math, and finance classes.

Except, starting in Spring 2014, ECN 221 is now only for business majors, and those higher level classes will not accept that course any longer. They will require STP 226 ot STP 420 as the pre-requisite statistics class.

OK, so if you took ECN 221 you're SOL and will have to spend more money or time on STP 226 or STP 420.

Well the pre-requirements for STP 420 have changed as well next year, so if you took MAT 210 and 211 (The only calc classes available for non-engineering and non-science majors), you cannot take STP 420 until you take MAT 265/266 (Engineers) or 270/271 (Science Majors) which you will not be able to register for without an over-ride, and with already having taken 210/211 you wont get it. So you take STP 226, which, by the way, is the exact same material as ECN 221, but talks more about hypothesis testing for all of 1 chapter (that's a 20 minute review of a wikipedia article, btw).

Keep in mind, STP 420 is called "Introduction to Statistics" it is the first real statistics class, and has been used across multiple majors (from Finance, to Economics, to Sustainability, to Social Work as an acceptable class to graduate).

Now this may sound like you're actually learning something, but due to ASU's 90% acceptance rate, 300 level courses are actually what real universities call 100 level courses. Anything in the 100 or 200 level is a remedial class that you should be able to ace if you got Bs in a decent High School (this assumes you went to High School outside of Arizona). So yes, your first 2 years at ASU will be an absolute joke.

About the 100 and 200 level courses. To "preserve the integrity of the ASU degree" you cannot test out of CIS 105. What is CIS 105? It is Computer Information Systems 105, and it is a pre-req for basically every W.P. Carey (The Business School) class in existence, and covers how to use Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. I took this class in grade school, it hasn't changed.

You also cannot test out of almost any 200 or 300 level courses at ASU. So instead of taking an aptitude test and being placed into courses where you actually learn something, for about 1/4 to 2/3 of your ASU career you will be spending $10,000 to $20,000 per year to redo high school.

4th Year Male -- Class 2015