StudentsReview :: Arizona State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Arizona State University

This school is a little bit disappointing.Not so brightLanguage - French/Spanish/etc.
This school is a little bit disappointing. Before going here, I went to a nearby community college which had brand new beautiful facilities, and received amazing teaching in the courses related to my major. But ASU's buildings are kind of ancient from my experience. The desks are often uncomfortable to sit at, making it hard to get through a class without being distracted by it. The staff can vary between being very nice and being condescending and unpleasant. Another issue with this school is that there are simply too many students. If you ever want to get lunch with a friend on campus, good luck finding a place to sit that isn't outside in the sun. The campus is huge, but it's still not big enough for 80,000 students. I would recommend definitely taking 2 years in a community college first before coming here, you'll likely get a better education that way and be less intimidated when switching to such a massive place.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A-, Extracurricular Activities: F
I am a resident of VA.Quite BrightFinance
I am a resident of VA. My son attends ASU. On Sept 5 the Tempe Police stormed into my sons apartment at University Place. My son was eating a hamburger watching TV and his roommate was asleep. The police came in accused him of drinking (he had not been, a breath test confirmed this) They accused him of throwing cans from his apartment. He was not there at the time of the incident. They arrested him for disorderly conduct when he protested being arrested for no good reason.

The Tempe police denied my son a phone call and took his cell phone away from him. My son was forced to stay the night in jail which he said was terrifying. The next morning he was shackled, yes shackled and brought into the Court to hear the charges against him. The D.A. said he could pay 150.00 to go to a reform class and the charges would be expunged from his record.

I am in disbelief and am appalled at the manner the police treated my son. Guilty until proven innocent. Is this really the way Tempe AZ wants to be seen?

This is a boy who has NEVER been in any trouble of any sort. He is level headed and smart. He really wanted to attend A.S.U. but now I hope to transfer him out of the state as our whole family is very disillusioned with the ?Police State? of Tempe.

I work in the travel industry. I will not hesitate to inform my clients of this incident when looking for venues for events.

This incident should be an embarrassment to the City of Tempe, A.S.U. and Maricopa County.
Sincerely,
Julie Wood

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Faculty Accessibility: F
I hate ASU, they only want money andQuite BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I hate ASU, they only want money and are only interested in funding their stupid sports program. They "don't allow" underage drinking or illegal substances, yet do nothing if they discover someone breaking the rule/law. Party school to the extreme. Many students are rude, think they're "soooo coool" and unwelcoming toward the serious students who are actually there to learn and study.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015