StudentsReview :: Arizona State University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Females 9
Males 15
Avg years at University 2.5
Research Quality C (4.8)
Research Availability C (4.3)
Research Funding C (4.3)
Graduate Politics C (4.3)
Errand Runners C (4.5)
Degree Completion C+ (5.4)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C- (3.9)
Sufficient Pay C- (3.9)
Competitiveness C (4.4)
Education Quality C- (4.0)
Faculty Accessibility C- (4.1)
Useful Research C- (3.9)
"Individual" treatment D+ (3.2)
Friendliness C- (4.0)
Safety C+ (5.3)
Campus Beauty C (4.6)
Campus Maintenance B- (6.2)
University Resource/spending D+ (3.2)
Extracurriculars C+ (5.4)
Success-Understanding C (4.7)
Surrounding City B- (6.1)
Social Life/Environment C (4.7)
University Resource/spendingD+
Campus MaintenanceB-

ASU ruined my life, likely because it is

Jul 05 2014English
ASU ruined my life, likely because it is in the armpit of the southwest that has not developed since the 1900s. The cohort I came in with were the worst people I have ever met. Although I was glad to work with the faculty I came in to work with, it was all wahsed over by the crap I had to deal with from shite grad students with little to offer other than petty HS bs. Avoid--there are far better schools with far better funding and Far BETTER FELLOW GRAD STUDENTS--its the ghetto of grad school without the glamour of a first rate uni and the funding of a pac ten or ivy

ASU ruined my life

Jul 05 2014English
ASU ruined my life. The cohort I came in with were the worst people I have ever met. Although I was glad to work with the faculty I came in to work for, it would never replace that crap I had to deal with from shite grad students with little to offer other than petty HS bs. Avoid--there are far better schools with far better funding

The research work I did and the courses

May 10 2014Electrical Engineering
The research work I did and the courses I enrolled for were instrumental in helping me secure the job that I hoped for when I started the program. So the end result was positive. However, the process, course content and grading, years of research made it feel like a hard-earned degree. Overall, felt like I had achieved a tough and a fruitful Master's degree.
Apr 19 2014PreLaw and Legal

i lost my dog and everyone laughed at me in this school.

I really wish I

Oct 25 2011Other
I really wish I had gone somewhere with a more supportive and higher quality environment. I just had enough of ASU and the Speech department.

Tempe campus reminds of

Mar 17 2011Psychology
Tempe campus reminds of a war zone with unsafe environment inside and outside area.
Administration at MFT program is very unprofessional, particularly program director!This establishment should be a shame to ASU!

I was in the Applied Biology program at

Aug 18 2010Biology
I was in the Applied Biology program at ASU, that is on the Polytechnic campus. The graduate program is very weak. In theory it sounds good and seemed very promising before I began. But since starting the program, I have received no guidance or help from faculty. The classes were satisfactory, but completing a thesis is a different story. I got absolutely no support from the school and the graduate college is impossible to work with. I have had to pay tuition for 3 semesters while I wait on thesis feedback and signatures. I am still trying to find a job (no help from ASU!) but can't seem to wrap things up with ASU. It never ends - and it's only a masters, not a PhD. I'm starting on my 4th year and still no end in sight (though I've completed and successfully defended my thesis). This was not only my experience, but others in the same program.

Funds are tight everywhere

Jul 14 2010Education
Funds are tight everywhere. With the economic issues ASU positoning themselves much like a for profit organization. Fees are outpacing programs and quality education. Students are not being given ample time to complete programs ASU has in place at the time of enrollement and now have cancelled. With respect to the education field my programs has changed three times since I've enrolled one year ago. ASU keeps changing the rules so to speak and are pushing people through their now non-existent programs too fast. As an adult learner, ASU does not have the knowledge or interest is seems to understand that I'm not a 21 year old with only college to worry about. Pretty sad that ASU has outpaced the tuition for the very unpopular University of Phoenix in AZ. Adults should weigh out how ASU treats your scheudle and life versus the flexibilty of other programs out there. ASU has I'm afraid put themselves at risk for the future by handling the new way of 501-c as really a profit center (albeit hidden) to most if they're not paying attentin. If you're an adult shop around - ASU is too expensive now and not family/adult friendly.
Jan 21 2010Computer Science

An excellent university to boom in your career and also a huge party school

I would not recommend this university based on

May 30 2009Industrial Operations Engineering
I would not recommend this university based on my experience. They somehow portray they are the best of I misunderstood that ASU is a good one for research. But the professors are unhelpful and they dont know what research the students are doing.. Finally, when you present your thesis, that's when they get involved and screw you up. Personally, I would prefer a university where the professor knows and involves himself in the research.
Research Topic(s): Not interested to mention
Oct 27 2008Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc

Art department is a decade behind the times.

Good faculty

Apr 14 2008Music - Performance
Good faculty. It's not a competitive school, if you're pasionate about music. If all you want is a degree is fine. Aesthetics suck! People are self-absorbed.

If you're an international student, especially Indian or

Sep 10 2004Electrical Engineering
If you're an international student, especially Indian or Chinese, then you might be at home here. Although there are many extremely brilliant foreign students around, some of them do resort to blatant plagiarism and lower the standards. It is saddening, and shameful (I am Indian, and I have witnessed this with my friends many times) but cannot be helped much.

The funding scenario for graduate students is not too good. It is quite a struggle to find any assistance, and grades wont help much as everybody has a GPA over 3.5! The standards of the school have been improving of late, and there are a few very good professors out there in the EE dept. Facilities are good, and have certainly been improving. The weather is fairly good most of the year, and food as well as accomodation is cheap. Its a fun place to be in, and you will make many many friends from all over the world!

This department (Industrial Engineering, in the College of

Jul 09 2004Industrial Operations Engineering
This department (Industrial Engineering, in the College of Engineering) has overwhelming problems with academic honesty. Plagiarism is rampant, and neither the faculty nor staff are inclined to do anything about it, even when really egregious cases are brought to their attention. International students are held to lower standards to the detriment of local and domestic students. University regulations are broken to hamper and exclude domestic students. The shame of it is that this could be a decent department if it wasn't going overboard trying to be the Tempe branch of the Indian Institute of Technology.
Get free info from: Arizona State University