StudentsReview ™ :: Northern Arizona University

Males 5
Avg years at University 2.0

Professors are generally very

Nov 16 2013Electrical Engineering
Professors are generally very lazy. Assignments take months to be graded, and most of the professors in my department either never lecture, or are very poor lecturers.

I chose this school because of my undergrad

Oct 15 2013Nursing
I chose this school because of my undergrad experience but grad school is way different. The faculty can't say anything to you except negatives. If you are struggling then you are told you should quit your job and you are not "ALLOWING YOURSELF" enough time to study. The faculty are called "facilitators" so it is clear that it is not their teaching that is the problem but your failure to do anything right.

Adjunct faculty have quit because of the way the students are treated. Most of the students are frazzled and distressed and nobody cares. We are all just not satisfactory. There is no appreciation for our spending $35,000+ here for our education, we are clearly just inadequate.

Nobody teaches. They post readings and "overviews" for topics which are rife with misspellings and paragraphs that run off the page. "Rectume" is one of the misspelled words.

Emails are sent and responses are not received weeks later sometimes.
Then you are to write a paper and make clear your understanding of this or that illness and what is happening with your patient but your entire education is readings from a book, there are no lectures, nobody wants to help you, and students are not permitted to ask questions about any topics and include the entire cohort in the discussion, the faculty get very upset and insist that you not include anyone else in your messages. Why?

Most of the students in my cohort are miserable and unhappy and we are treated like imbeciles and our failure is our own fault because we are not putting in sufficient effort, or we are working too much (because we have to have insurance and to get the insurance we have to work full time). It's all stacked against the students.It's miserable. Go someplace else for your graduate nursing degree. The rules are more important than the students. Nobody cares about the students.

I've just begun my Master's through their online

Oct 04 2009Education
I've just begun my Master's through their online program and I can already see this was a huge mistake! The tuition is cheap--but you get what you pay for. The professors do not interact with you online. Instead they let students post negative and racist comments, which is horrible considering many of them are pursuing a Master's in Education! When writing to the professors--they do not address the issues and they don't read your posts online. Supposedly posting online is to mimic the "in classroom" experience--if this is what happens online then I'm too afraid to ask what happens in the classroom! Save your money and go to a quality university--or at least an online university that doesn't resemble a diploma mill!

NAU = Not a University

Aug 21 2008Other
NAU = Not a University. Having entered as a MS grad student, I quickly found I had to re-write most of the project I was working on. The stats plan was wrong, the sampling poor, the goals too broad. I found I would really be working on a PhD, but getting an MS. My main faculty was available from 10-3 (normal working hours for most NAU faculty). So getting needed info was tough. I was expected to be working in the lab from 8-5 with no deviation. Classes were a joke - I got more from my BS degree. However the Stats classes from the math dept were excellent. Housing is very expensive and the community sees students as competition for resources -so they treat you as such. The forests were closed in the summer because of fire danger - so there was nothing to do. I acutally started watching Zena to pass the time - how sad is that!

this school totally sucks and is a waste

Sep 29 2004Business - Management and Administration
this school totally sucks and is a waste of time. Not only is it in the wilderness with no finance related business anywhere in sight, not one investment bank or equity research boutique ever visits here. The faculty is old and the curriculum has not been changed since 1995 - that itself is a losing proposition in this ever changing business environment. Go there only if you want some loser job paying $35,000 annually.Flagstaff though is great.
gmat - 400