The Academy of Art University
The Academy of Art University - Comments and Student Experiences|
- First off, if you plan on coming to AAU, wait a year and go to a community college or state school to get your liberals done, it will save you a TON of money, theres no reason to pay 2200 for an english class when you could pay 200 for it.
- Also if you enjoy having a ton of time to hang out with friends and party, think twice about coming here, the homework work load is intense, especially in the IAD major. During finals week, which in reality is like the last 2 weeks of the semester, you wont see the outside of a drafting table of computer screen.
- The teachers in the IAD major are overall good, if you the right ones, there are a few that are not that great. Also when it comes to taking the survey classes, take them online, the teacher is really boring and in my case ended up falling asleep every class.
- The teachers to get are Stephanie, Eric, and Molly. Molly, you will probably hate from start to end, I did, but in the end you WILL learn to draw perspective like no other person who didnt have her.
- It is hard to get to know people outside of your major because the campus is all over SF, thats what great about this school and not, you get to see all parts of SF, but its hard to meet other people in other majors.
- Try living in the dorms at least for a year, that way you will get to know a TON of people in different majors, my best friend is a fashion major, which led to meeting other people.
- This is school is VERY competitive, people in your major are always seeing whose the best and what theyre doing, so they can bet you. You have to be on top of your game and do your best because when you have to hang ur stuff up in front of class, your classmates are going to tear you apart. You HAVE to be strong and not be afraid of people when they say things about your work
- Find a few REALLY good friends in your major, they are the ones that are gonna challenge you and help you along the way, its like an undercover competition, but they are always going to be there to help and encourage you.
- With the IAD major, teachers wont tell you where to find fabrics or floor samples, but thats part of the learning process, at first you will be running literally all over SF to find a wood floor sample, but eventually you will find where you can get amazing samples. Thats another things, if you dont know where to get materials, dont be afraid and ask another student where they get theres from, and you can always trade materials with fellow friends and class mate. Thats why too, in your 1st semester in materials class, GO TO FIELD TRIPS! you learn soo much! (Eric takes you on a ton of field trips, which means a ton of free flooring and fabric samples)
- Lastly, art school is expensive, AAU is actually one of the more least expensive art schools, and art supplies are VERY expensive and more than likely you will be running around the city and buying art supplies every week, thats why you have to be serious and know you are going to have to work really hard.
Are you a student and about to sign the very first lease in your li... more→