StudentsReview :: The American Academy of Dramatic Arts - Los Angeles - Comments and Student Experiences

Georgetown College -- Georgetown, KY
Washington Bible College / Capital Bible Seminary -- Lanham, MD
Washington College -- Chestertown, MD

The American Academy of Dramatic Arts - Los Angeles

First of all i would like to say
First of all i would like to say this school is horrible. I really wanted to become a actor but this is not the school i would like to add on my resume. I went to this school for 6 months and i just couldn't do it anymore i called my parents and told them to put me back on the first flight back to arizona.. The building looks great on the outside but once you enter the gate you are in hell. The mens restrooms are always dirty with a not so pleasant smell. When it rains you still have to eat your lunch outside on the dirty tables. This school charges way to much to not provide a inside lunch area or lunch period. I don't ever want subway burger king or wends again!!!! The stairs are always dirty as well. The homeless people always bother you.. This is not a safe area you can google the crime yourself..Now lets talk about drugs.. I have never in my life seen so many students on drugs this was supposed to be school!! even some of the staff are doing drugs and drinking right on campus!! BETTY!!! drinks some much to where you can smell it on her if you get close to her.I have caught the JANITOR GARY RICE SMOKING AND SMELLING LIKE WEED EVERYDAY I WAS THERE. They should drug TEST THIER EMPLOYESS AND ALCHOL TEST AS WELL AND I BET ALOT OF PEOPLE WOULD BE SURPRISED!!!! when i had my audition i met with nice ladies but once i got in it was like hell it was not hard at all they pretty much want to know if you have the money oh boy you are in!!!
I attended AADA/West several years ago and IQuite Bright
I attended AADA/West several years ago and I agree with what others say about the school. It's true majority of the teachers are former actors and dancers that have not worked in 25 years or more. I went for one year and the year started out really good, but went down hill after the first semester. Some of the teachers try and scare students with their bad experiences and personal horror stories from working in theatre and especially television. It seemed that this school always has fresh pickings of high school students who audition and get in... students who actually don't want to be there and who spend all their free time partying all night in L.A. clubs and nightspots when they should be rehearsing scenes with fellow students for class. I saw firsthand, many students worked hard, including myself, and worked and produced material homework of research for roles that was challenging. But, the kicker was, there were so many students who did not care, partied all night, and did drugs as often as they could and they were the ones that got asked back for second year. So the moral of the story concerning AADA/w is that it's not about the homework or what you learned first year, it's how much drugs a person can do and how to make themselves look good and make shit shine during exam plays. And honestly, I'm glad I did not get asked back, because 2nd year classes would have been hell with all the drug users who never did any homework, nor put any effort toward first year classes. Also, from all the students I knew, I have not seen one person on television or in feature film.
1st Year Male -- Class 2006
Surrounding City: B, Scholastic Success: F
I spent plenty of time in a LiberalNot so bright
I spent plenty of time in a Liberal Arts University, and discovered that I really needed a specific education in Drama to give me the tools necessary to seek a career in acting. Seven years since enrolling and five years after graduation, I am so glad that I chose AADA for my training. The time that the faculty spent with me made me the actor that I am today. I found the instructors to be passionate, caring individuals who really took the time to get to know all of my classmates and figure out how they could best be of service in our education. Classes were small, so I never had the feeling of being left out or looked over. Instructors were always available to discuss progress and were genuinely concerned with the students growth as actors.

Within the student body, I really got to know everyone (which was a breath of fresh air considering I had come from a university that had 70,000 people on campus at any one time of the day). I built friendships that have lasted, and many have turned into industry contacts and partnerships. Most importantly, I feel that AADA gave me the tools to be the best actor I can be, I went out into the industry knowing that once I started auditioning, I would feel confident in my work and be able to book the job. Definitely happy with my choice to attend AADA.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2005
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B
Compare AADA-Los AngelesSave AADA-Los Angeles

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→