StudentsReview :: The Art Institute of California Argosy University - San Francisco - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA
San Diego State University -- San Diego, CA
California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

The Art Institute of California Argosy University - San Francisco

This school is definitely about profit.Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
This school is definitely about profit. Getting class was a nightmare. They weren't very organized almost failed the last quarter because they put me in the wrong class and I couldn't switch out because they rarely have the classes you need available. Even the teacher realize how bad it was, sometimes we would have discussions on how bad it was. They never failed to bill me though.

It's way over priced. After my first year most classes were lab time, meaning you just do your hw for 4hrs while the teacher babysits.

They don't have the best equipment, the print room was it what seemed to once be a janitors room.
They denied me my diploma, the school it's self lent me some money so I could graduate, they never told me I wouldn't get my diploma until I paid them back.

It's not credited. I don't know if they've fixed this yet, but you can't even transfer to another Ai without loosing a chunk of your credits. Not alot of classes transfer into these schools either, probably because they would loose money.

You can't minor in anything.
They made me buy expensive materials I rarely used.
A few teachers actually cared, some where completely rude. I noticed the once who were part timers where the worst.

They spent thousands in fixing the interior of the buildings...who's going to see it if it's a private school???

I was expected to know a lot of things, without every been taught.
Student Housing = Hell, they don't help out at all. Ex. Pigeons Shit all over our front door couldn't use it because the knob was completely covered in crap. It took them almost a month to clean it up.

One thing that I like was the career services. The woman who was assigned to me tried her hardest to find a job, but they work better if you stay in the city after you graduate. This school is best if you take as many courses elsewhere and just finish there so you can use their job hunters.

Pros: in the city of San Francisco, aQuite Bright
Pros: in the city of San Francisco, a couple of instructors that actually take time to plan their classes and are respectful of students

Cons:
*class structure not conducive to learning (4-hour classes that are only once a week; 2 out of the 4 hours are never productive since neither the students or instructors can pay attention that long; I had one instructor that consistently left 45 minutes early)

*majority of instructors and staff are extremely condescending
*systems are outdated--you have to register for class in person
*cost is too high
*print shop is worse than a trip to kinkos
*school was reprimanded by a state senator for violating students' 1st amendment rights
*classes are not taught at the college level (i'm sorry, but isn't long division something you're supposed to go over in grade school...?)

*located in a rough part of town (where San Francisco's failures to provide human services and outreach, a decent police force and economic development all collide) Advice: Avoid at all costs

1st Year Female -- Class 2009
Surrounding City: A-, Education Quality: F
WARNING: For those of you who are lookingAverage
WARNING: For those of you who are looking into the Art Institutes, carefully consider the following: The Art Institutes are a BUSINESS. There are a bunch of them all over the country and their sole purpose is to market themselves for art or fashion based students as a cheap alternative to a normal university. That's EXACTLY what the Art Institutes are: they are unaccredited community-college style programs designed to make money. The schools could careless about the students. The faculty are a joke as is the school in general. There is no on-campus housing and the campus, while in one of the coolest cities in the United States, is in a terrible part of town. My sister looked into this school. I was suspicous when I really couldn't find any concerte information on the school or programs. I then got suspicous when it was advertised on myspace. When a school advertises itself like that, a warning sign. My sister applied to it as an afterthought. She wrote an essay in five mintues, sent it to the school, and was accepted a week later. This is after getting poor grades and being uninolved. Just wanting to warn you about this school before you think about it.
1st Year Male -- Class 2005