StudentsReview :: American Intercontinental University - Comments and Student Experiences

American University -- Washington, DC
University of Phoenix -- Phoenix, AZ
University of Texas -- Edinburg, TX

American Intercontinental University

Hello,Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Hello,
My name is Raffaella. I live in Italy and I am studying at AIU?.
I know this is kinda long, but I really wrote this just for you. Take a few minutes to read this and save yourselves a lot of money and huge anger attacks?.

There are soooo many problems, one does not even know where to begin.
I never expected AIU to be a traditional school, but that is obvious since it is an online school. I am taking a microeconomic class. There are about 100 pages a week to read per class. But the worst of it all, is that you are 98% on your own. I never expected the professors to lecture of course. However I did not expect either that professors hold a total of TWO hours a week of office hours. Doing the math.... one hour of office hour is costing me at least 500 dollars Plus the other 30 students who also need it...that is 15,000...if you get in the office hour virtual door, it is stuffed with other student that means that I am actually paying even more if you start calculating it by the minute.

BTW: they proclaim to be intercontinental, however most of the office hours and chat sessions are set up for US students. For me who lives in Italy, I would have to stay up till 4AM....and that is outrageous.

One more thing I just discovered today is that you cannot make credit card payments via their website. Why? They are only set up for US and Canada? ridiculous!

The school is expensive because there is no academic support. What in the world are these professors doing? They work 3-5 hours per week?.plus some time to grade papers-BTW they never give you constructive feedback, they just give you a grade and that is it. Well great I may be getting As, but that does not mean that I am a perfect writer?. I would love to learn more and be truly prepared for grad school?.. BTW...a week is very condensed at AIU....expect to read at least 150-200pp for two classes.[I am a student who needs to get As for my future graduate studies-I want to go to Stanford for my MBA-so I actually try to actively read all of them).... I usually come up with at least 20 specific questions relating to the chapter we are studying. BTW do not expect any PowerPoint presentation from the professor containing summaries, explanations, and difficult problems solving methods-you are still out on your own. The system tells you to email your instructors with questions. First they would never answer 20 questions. Second, AIU has a 48 hour time frame policy, where it is ok if the instructors do not respond earlier than 48. This may seem trivial...however if I have 10 question by Friday, I am out of luck. Professors (90%) of them do not answer emails on weekends because they are not required. Hey isn't this school set up for people who work during the week and focus their study on weekends? NOT! I am stuck here, too late to back out.

Please listen to this words of wisdom.....15,000 may seem a lot, but for the academic support you will get, it feels like it is ten times that.

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Friendliness: A, Faculty Accessibility: F
Look i am not knocking anyone getting aNot so brightBusiness - Management and Administration
Look i am not knocking anyone getting a degree in anything forf that matter in this economy you need some type of degree to get your foot on the door. AIU is a school that needs a lot of help I went to Aiu Buckhead and Weston so i been to both campus and went to school AIU Online. So iguess you can say i am pretty experience when im giving any other prospective student advice. Aiu was not the best for me the faculty are friendly but the work is not challenging enough. The classes are always cancelling without you knowing the school is so small sometimes they may not be enough students and let say you are in need of the class to graduate it delay your anticipation date to graduate. I first joined the school out of high school to do the fashion program its an intresting field but i would have prefer to go to Art institute then all of sudden i change my mind because in october of 2007 they were this close to shutting down the school and taking away thier acreditation. I was getting nervous so i decided to get my transcript and go but since that didnt happen i decided to get Associates in Business and get a transfer to another school rather than just drop and go that way i have a better chancew to transfer smoothly. well i cant say i learn a lot but i felt that this school has a lot of work to do being the fact that it was almost shut down in florida. The teachesr keep getting fired every term and the financial aid advisor or your acadamic advisor that you built that relationship for awhile starts to dissapear. and it makes you wonder what is really going hthere out of the time i been in the school every facutly member has been fired or mysteriously dissapear thats including teacher, financial aid and acadamic advisor so that also motivated me to get out of the school while i still can and focus on getting my bach. elsewhere. so my advice for anyone going to aiu is to think twice there is no social life, its not to challenging they accept anyone even on the first day they are so wuick to get to sign up for school to get your money but once they done with you. you will never see the profffer again. One good think iw ould say about aiu is that the online setup is nice but thats it being a nice online setup still has a lot of work to do in order for it to be up there
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Friendliness: A, Education Quality: F
My advice is to think twice when consideringBrightDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
My advice is to think twice when considering AIU-Weston as your school. The professors are hardly qualified and couldn't care less for the sucess of the students. I had to ask a professor to actually read a report I wrote for the Final Assignment because otherwise he was just going to give me an "A" for just showing up! What type of school is this? What skills or knowledge am I gaining? What type of teachers are being hired when a student has to actually demand to have their work reviewed?! If you are the type of person who appreciated a good education and prefers to be challenged, my advice is look elsewhere because AIU serves to and gives away BAs to ignorant, uneducated, and hopeless people! Because that pretty much describes the majority of the students and teachers at this school, I had to deal with a sexual harasser and a pregrant teen trasspasser! Instead of an education, all I got was headaches and horrible experiences!
1st Year Female -- Class 2012