StudentsReview :: California College of the Arts - Comments and Student Experiences

California Institute of the Arts -- Valencia, CA
Art Center College of Design -- Pasadena, CA
School of the Art Institute of Chicago -- Chicago, IL

California College of the Arts

In the Graphic Design Program, this is the

May 01 2009Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
In the Graphic Design Program, this is the only program I can speak of, the faculty pick favorites. Everyone at CCA does quality work, so in the end they just judge you based on whatever they feel like. Even though I am 25, I have been treated like a child, and with little respect by the faculty.

The program sets you up with deadlines and small projects, and than in the end they throw a curve ball at you, called Thesis. In Thesis, you have to come up with your own project, even though nothing before this has prepared you for this kind of class. Talk about intimidating, you sit in front of a huge staff of graphic designers and they tell you how your work stinks if you aren't one of their beloved favorites!

On the more positive side, I would say that the faculty are very knowledgeable and even though they may not express their want for their students to do well, they try, but are elitist and too focused on how you do your work rather than what you produce.This is not the program to be in if you are not 100% sure you want to do graphic design. The teachers really have little if no respect for many of the students, but the students certainly produce beautiful work. What I liked about CCA was the great challenge and its conceptual nature. What I didn't like about it was its elitism, favoritism, and pretentiousness. Every idea should be given a fair chance. Design shouldn't be elitist!

3rd Year Female -- Class 2009
Surrounding City: A+, Campus Aesthetics: D-

I went to CCA to study for my

Nov 03 2008Industrial Design
I went to CCA to study for my second degree. I have a BA from a top tier University. I was hoping students, teachers, office workers, departments, would all work together towards a same goal, but was very disappointed. From the outside, the school presents well, the student work looks amazing, the staff is overall friednly. Once I actually started attending I realized how disfunctional this school really is. I really felt most of the student body was, arrogant, unfriedly, and clicky, and the teacher body was self-absorbed. I would hardly get any feedback from either students, or teachers, and only learnt to depend on skills I already had prior to attending. I would not recommend this school to second degree students or adults returning to school, perhaps young inexperienced high-school graduates can put up with the attitudes, unorganized staff, and condescending teachers, but I know I couldn't because I know it isn't the way things are normally done! In the end I decided to put my graduation on hold and attend a different school.
1st Year Female -- Class 2009
Campus Maintenance: A, Faculty Accessibility: D

I went to CCA for one semester, Fall

Jan 31 2011Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I went to CCA for one semester, Fall 2010. The over all curriculum was pretty good. I got three A's and one B that semester. The professors where generally really interesting.

However half the school is in oakland and the other half is in San Francisco. This is fine if your major is located generally in one building or the other. I was a painting major at the school. The program was really spread out. I didn't feel a lot of support for the painters at the school. There was hardly any community for the painting majors. I was often by myself in the painting studios, wondering to myself ... where are the other painters? This is why I decided to leave. I was a transfer student. I decided to use the dorms, to meet people .. etc... All transfer students generally go to the Webster Dorms. Three weeks into living at Webster a shoot out with machine guns happened outside my window. Thats right, MACHINE GUNS. Oakland has the fourth highest crime rate in the US. It's really important to think about that before deciding to go to CCA. Half the campus is in Oakland, ask how many classes exactly would you need to take in oakland? Their campus security reports will tell you only a few thefts happen on campus and that there are no reports of violence on campus ... What they aren't telling you is that people are getting shot and mugged at the safeway right next door to the campus ... the safe way is where a lot of students go for their food. It's really a scary situation .... What I got is that too many students where afraid to say they made a mistake and where afraid to go home because of being locked into student loans. Thats just my honest impression. My advice is not go here and check out other schools that are actually fully in SF.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014