StudentsReview :: California Lutheran University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Berkeley, CA
California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

California Lutheran University

The majority vs.AverageMath
The majority vs. the minority. That is the feeling you will get from this school. This school is home to roughly about 2,100 students, but has the diversity of a chocolate chip cookie. Every so often you get a bit of chocolate, but mostly what you eat is the plain dough. If you looking for diversity you should not come to CLU, it is roughly I believe 80% white with Hispanics making up most of the rest. While having these two demographics are not bad, it is not a full representation of what California is which is very ethnically diverse.

I was a former student at CLU and was going to be a junior starting the following year. But I instead transferred to a different university. Unlike the other comments you may have read I still truly enjoyed my time at this school, and that was mostly due to the faculty in the departments. The faculty here at this school is great, they have been so welcoming and warm and may I even dare say it receptive to the students that it truly tugged at my heart strings to leave. For the faculty if you are driven and excel in your classes, go into the office to chat and want to learn more about the subject, you will go places at this university. The professors truly take the time to get to know you and don't mind once in a while just light hearted conversations. And if asked give great life advice. As a math major I can say I spent hours in the math department just talking and learning more about life and math from these people, and I can say without their support and belief in me I don't think I would be here writing this. I will touch on this in the later paragraph.

For this school, since it is a very small liberal arts school, when asked about it not many people will know the school. Start to get used to that when you come here because it will happen a lot. So that comes to the question of how will this effect me getting a job. Well in my personal opinion, its gonna be hard to get a job from this school as an undergraduate, because of the small name. But there is hope and that is graduate school. I say this because at CLU they offer so much research potential to the undergraduates, it effectively oozes out the school. I mean in every department and every major, people have to do some sort of senior research to graduate. This is great for graduate schools, because it shows you can do the next level work and work with other people to accomplish something new. If you are also looking for a competitive atmosphere you will not find it here. The students here are more into the co-operative work which is good, but the studies will not drive you to push the limit unless you ask for more. Being self driven at CLU is key to get the most out of this university's academics. So if your worried about the academics just know that graduating from this school, going to graduate school is the best choice.

Now comes to my difficulty and why I transferred. So to be honest I only stayed sane enough because of the faculty and how great the professors were. The student body though was on another level of bad. The kids here are very friendly, but at the same time really like to stay within their own specific group. It makes it really hard to join a group once they have formed. So if you are thinking of college as a place where people will hang with complete strangers and then become friends, not at this school at least. And this revelation is sad because this school you would think would be more unified but in reality, its seem like 1/3 are commuters and those who don't commute live around the area so they go home on the weekends. So usually by the time the weekend rolls around more than half the campus is gone, that's right for a student body of 2100 that's a lot of students still attached to home. So for a student living and stuck on campus its tough because its quiet, starts to feel lonely, and no activities on the weekends to distract you. So you can think of the social life at this school as high school 2.0. To back up my point about how lonely and hard socially it can get at this school. Roughly 1/4 of the student body utilizes the psychiatric center that is for free on campus. They get psych counseling here and mainly just someone to talk to (I would know since I used it). One week I remember my appointment got canceled because they had an influx of students coming in with suicidal thoughts. Now that's pretty bad for a small school in my opinion. I also share this sentiment with many others across the campus (for the few people I confided in), and even if you don't hear it from someone you know they are thinking it as well. So if you are a transfer or a incoming freshman, your getting a good academic school but take heed in that things socially can be very tough.I hope this post has helped you and shed some light on CLU. Best of luck out there.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: F
Okay, here's the truth.Quite BrightEnglish
Okay, here's the truth. CLU is a fantastic school...if you have the personality of a dry wall. Seriously. I don't want to sound mean, but this is not going to be a nice review. I need to be honest here. This school did not provide enough of a creative atmosphere for me to really thrive in. That's not to say other people wouldn't be happy here. I can't speak for everyone on campus. However, I found life at CLU to be bland and routine. I felt like I was wasting my time here instead of learning to my full potential. That's why I'm transferring to another school in the fall. The theatre, choir, and music departments are disappointing to say the least. I know it's not an arts school, but any decent college should give the arts students just as much attention as the ones on the sports teams. I mean, come on. There's an ENTIRE SIDE OF CAMPUS devoted to the jocks, and a teeny tiny area for the blackbox/theatre classrooms. Even though I came here to study English, I thought there would be more performance opportunities. It's great that anyone can be apart of them and audition, but it's so sad to see a college that doesn't even have a real performing arts center. Money is spent erecting a statue outside of the humanities building that no one even cares about in the first place, instead of using all of that cash on programs in desperate need of attention. I felt like I was at a high school over there. I came to college to learn and be around a diverse group of individuals. No one wants to think outside of the box's like they're afraid to. God forbid somebody tries. I was honestly a mess over there. I got good grades, made the Dean's List, loved all of my professors (that's the one good thing about CLU- the class sizes and the professors), but I felt so limited. That school doesn't even have a Drama Club. They have everything else...but a Drama Club. I mean, what the hell is that all about? It makes me sad. Something needs to change over there, and fast. Right now it's just a snooty private school that claims to offer all sorts of programs and opportunities for a vast array of students, and instead only cares about a select few. If you're interested in applying there, really make sure it's what you want. Visit the campus, go to a concert or a show, and you never know. You might think I'm totally wrong, but I just wanted to voice my thoughts. For me, CLU was a huge disappointment. It felt like a few steps up from high school. The only real challenge I faced over there was getting through the day. I'm so happy to be out.
Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: F
Overall, CLU is a good but not outstandingQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Overall, CLU is a good but not outstanding school, especially for Business majors. I thought there were certain courses in my program that were very challenging and worthwile while there were others that seemed to offer little value. Basically you will get a little of both worlds. The faculty is friendly and approachable as long as you are friendly and approachable to them as well. You have to put in the effort to foster a relationship and they will certainly meet you half way.

As far as the students go, you must once again make the effort to be friendly and approachable. People are very friendly and it is very easy to make a connection with students in your class or that are involved with the same activities around campus. You will more than likely form a niche group of friends that you become very close with. I'm not a huge party guy so this wasn't a big deal for me, but there wasn't much of that culture at CLU. Parties off campus were a pain to get into and the campus is dry. If partying and stuff like that is what you are looking for, you will be disappointed.

Thousand Oaks does not offer too much entertainment for the average college student, but it does offer the opportunity to meet and build relationships with very successful and powerful people. Most of the residents are very well off and have connections that can certainly aid you in gaining employment upon graduation.I do not regret the decision to go to CLU, you get out of the experience what you put in. Truly. Don't expect to be spoon fed everything you think a full college experience entails

3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Social Life: D+
Compare CLUSave CLU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→