StudentsReview :: California Lutheran University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Berkeley, CA
California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

California Lutheran University

Okay, here's the truth.Quite BrightEnglish
Okay, here's the truth. CLU is a fantastic school...if you have the personality of a dry wall. Seriously. I don't want to sound mean, but this is not going to be a nice review. I need to be honest here. This school did not provide enough of a creative atmosphere for me to really thrive in. That's not to say other people wouldn't be happy here. I can't speak for everyone on campus. However, I found life at CLU to be bland and routine. I felt like I was wasting my time here instead of learning to my full potential. That's why I'm transferring to another school in the fall. The theatre, choir, and music departments are disappointing to say the least. I know it's not an arts school, but any decent college should give the arts students just as much attention as the ones on the sports teams. I mean, come on. There's an ENTIRE SIDE OF CAMPUS devoted to the jocks, and a teeny tiny area for the blackbox/theatre classrooms. Even though I came here to study English, I thought there would be more performance opportunities. It's great that anyone can be apart of them and audition, but it's so sad to see a college that doesn't even have a real performing arts center. Money is spent erecting a statue outside of the humanities building that no one even cares about in the first place, instead of using all of that cash on programs in desperate need of attention. I felt like I was at a high school over there. I came to college to learn and be around a diverse group of individuals. No one wants to think outside of the box here...it's like they're afraid to. God forbid somebody tries. I was honestly a mess over there. I got good grades, made the Dean's List, loved all of my professors (that's the one good thing about CLU- the class sizes and the professors), but I felt so limited. That school doesn't even have a Drama Club. They have everything else...but a Drama Club. I mean, what the hell is that all about? It makes me sad. Something needs to change over there, and fast. Right now it's just a snooty private school that claims to offer all sorts of programs and opportunities for a vast array of students, and instead only cares about a select few. If you're interested in applying there, really make sure it's what you want. Visit the campus, go to a concert or a show, and you never know. You might think I'm totally wrong, but I just wanted to voice my thoughts. For me, CLU was a huge disappointment. It felt like a few steps up from high school. The only real challenge I faced over there was getting through the day. I'm so happy to be out.
more→Feb 09 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: F
Overall, CLU is a good but not outstandingQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Overall, CLU is a good but not outstanding school, especially for Business majors. I thought there were certain courses in my program that were very challenging and worthwile while there were others that seemed to offer little value. Basically you will get a little of both worlds. The faculty is friendly and approachable as long as you are friendly and approachable to them as well. You have to put in the effort to foster a relationship and they will certainly meet you half way.

As far as the students go, you must once again make the effort to be friendly and approachable. People are very friendly and it is very easy to make a connection with students in your class or that are involved with the same activities around campus. You will more than likely form a niche group of friends that you become very close with. I'm not a huge party guy so this wasn't a big deal for me, but there wasn't much of that culture at CLU. Parties off campus were a pain to get into and the campus is dry. If partying and stuff like that is what you are looking for, you will be disappointed.

Thousand Oaks does not offer too much entertainment for the average college student, but it does offer the opportunity to meet and build relationships with very successful and powerful people. Most of the residents are very well off and have connections that can certainly aid you in gaining employment upon graduation.I do not regret the decision to go to CLU, you get out of the experience what you put in. Truly. Don't expect to be spoon fed everything you think a full college experience entails

more→Jan 19 2015
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Social Life: D+
Choose another school.BrightArt & Design Department
Choose another school. The University and its staff are there doing time. They give you little support and make you feel like you are bothering them. I would have transferred earlier if I wasn't to deep into it.
more→Dec 12 2014