StudentsReview :: California Maritime Academy - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Berkeley, CA

California Maritime Academy

The California Maritime Academy is an amazing universityQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
The California Maritime Academy is an amazing university to attend. The leadership development and total growth you will achieve is unattainable at another college. Class sizes are very small and professors are eager to help. Job placement has been 100% for the past 10 years straight. If you want a great education give the California Maritime Academy a visit.
4th Year Male -- Class 2002
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: D
Think over another University.Engineering Department
Think over another University. Attending CMA for a future seagoing position is a waste of time and money. The opportunities simply do not exist. The US Merchant Fleet is a thing of the past.There are more respectable schools available for higher education.
I grew up in Bakersfield, California, in theBrightMechanical Engineering
I grew up in Bakersfield, California, in the middle of the central valley, so going from desert to water life was radically different. I started by looking at engineering schools with a "hands-on" bent. Cal Poly was an obvious strong contender, then I learned about this school. I did an overnight tour of the campus (I stayed in the dorms and followed a student around half the day), and loved it. I was a little bit early, so my guide was in the middle of welding class, so the instructor actually let me put on the gear and draw a few beads.

Coming straight out of high school, don't expect a cakewalk. I skated through high school not having to work at all, then when I went here, I almost flunked out of CMA by not showing up to class or not working at all. When regulations are imposed upon you, understand that you wear a uniform, are REQUIRED to attend class for a reason. Life onboard ship is radically different then life at a 9-5 job. "15 minutes early is on time" is the slogan when it comes to your responsibilities at this campus (there is a lot of beaurocratic BS that you have to put up with, but that is everywhere as well).

Due to its small size and the entire nature of the campus, the professors are usually extremely friendly and helpful. They usually go out of their way to help you (at least in the mechanical engineering department, that is). My professors knew me by my first name and some even knew me by the way I did my homework or did exams. They aren't the type of professor who is only there just for his research $$ and "complimentary lab time" that usually goes with a university professor. The Mechanical Engineering degree just got its ABET (Accredidation Board for Engineering and Technology) Accredidation, so I was able to take the EIT (also called the F.E. exam), which I passed, due to the engineering info I learned @ this campus.

Now onto the maritime aspects of this school. I wasn't entirely sold on the idea of sailing until I went on my freshman training cruise. The experience of being on a ship, traveling on the world oceans, you really feel like you are doing something with yourself. Going down in that engine room for the first time when everything is actually running, man it was eye opening and I decided I wanted to do that (at least for a while). Here is a list of the countries or other places you could visit while a student @ Cal Maritime:

Japan, Alaska, China, Saipan, Midway Island, Hawaii, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti, Fiji, Costa Rica, Chile, Panama, Mexico....The list could go on!

I graduated CMA with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering with a USCG-issued License to sail as a 3rd Assistant Engineer on Steam, Motor, or Gas Turbine Vessels of any horsepower. I just finished sailing with SUNY Maritime College's training vessel as a watch officer (on the T.S. Empire State), I am now going to be sailing as a 3rd A/E with MSC (Military Sealift Command).

5th Year Male -- Class 2005