StudentsReview :: The College of Marin - Comments and Student Experiences

The College of Marin

Bill Abright Ceramics Dept.Not so brightOther
Bill Abright Ceramics Dept.: Dispicable experience
I have to agree on certain parts of the review by Charles J. Sonoma,CA.
This review is regarding the teacher Bill Abright in Ceramics department and his student. Take his class only if you are unattractive. He allows his students (creepy, old men) to behave inappropriately. He defends their inappropriate behavior. If a woman complains to him about his student's inappropriate behavior he acts intimidating, dismissive to make her stop from complaining and make her look like she is wrong. If the woman wouldn't be controlled he will use petty, ‘girl bully’ tactics like start gossiping about her to her classmates as if she is unreasonable. Bill Albright showed lack of character and integrity while dealing with such unpleasant incident.

Note to Bill Abright: When someone complains to you about your student's inappropriate behavior, you need to start by saying "I am really sorry that my student made you feel uncomfortable" instead of trying to be intimidating 'cause that kind of approach doesn't work with proud, intelligent women. Make sure that your students show respect to women, cause if you defend your students' inappropriate behavior and make excuses for them it makes you look like you are one of them. DON’T raise your voice, be polite, APOLOGIZE and be sincere about it!!

Make sure that your students act like respectful, decent men and NOT like pathetic, losers desperate to have physical contact with women students.

1st Year Female -- Class 1999
College of Marin is a fantastic school withBrightOther
College of Marin is a fantastic school with top-notch faculty! I found my instructors to be accessible, encouranging and very well-educated. Most of my instructors encouraged questions, participation and all viewpoints. I had only two rotten teachers during the completion of 60 or so units (one in the English department - VERY arrogant and mean and one in the Geology department still reliving Vietnam and very angry), so 2 teachers out of 20 or so (i.e., 10% not-so-great instructors) means 90% of the staff I encountered were excellent. I became involved in student government and the honor society. Night life is limited but the big city of San Francisco is only an hour away. I highly recommend this college and remember fondly my time spent there. The county that the college is in is quite diverse and well-educated and there are plenty of things to do. Farmer's markets, hiking, biking, movies, great eateries. I have lived in many states so I have an expanded perspective of value, beauty and quality. Believe me, this college has much to offer at an unbeatable price per unit. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2006
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: C-
I'm a middle-age man returning to college toQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I'm a middle-age man returning to college to study business, and I just spent two years at COM as a part-time student. I got almost all A's.

COM is a very small school in a very wealthy suburb, but there are a growing number of Hispanic students beyond the Caucasian student base. It is very much a commuter school: There is no school housing and students mostly drive in, go to classes, and drive out. That means there are very few social activities going on at the school although there are occasional events on the lawn, or the main breezeway. There are a number of clubs to join (although I suspect they are rather small), and I think that would be the best way to socialize at COM. It's not going to happen hanging around the student union.

I do not think the students, who are mostly young, are unfriendly at all. They're just a little shy because they're not in high school with all their old friends anymore. The best place to make friends is in your classes where you automatically have something in common to talk about. I'm old, but the kids in my classes were almost always friendly to me. But you must say "hi" first; don't wait for them to speak to you.

Night classes are a little different. This is when most of the adults show up for classes, and they're the ones who are really self-absorbed. Try to avoid the night classes especially if you're young.

Once you get past the ugly parking lot the campus is really quite pretty and maintained fairly well. The local voters just gave the school some millions of dollars to spend on renovations over the next few years, so once the construction ends it should be even newer and better.

Like all schools, choosing your teachers is key, so look on the web (try Rate My Professor), or talk to other students once you get here. Doing this, the teachers I've had here were either good, or really excellent! Even the teachers I didn't think were excellent (three of them) were pretty good teachers who were trying to do a good job, and were friendly and helpful. And the teachers I really liked were really special: Smart, helpful, friendly, and inspiring.

Five of my fourteen teachers at COM have a PhD. In other words, they are highly educated people who love to teach. Try getting that as an undergraduate at UC Berkeley! Overall I am very happy with my educational experience at COM.

There are some big advantages in going to a small school like COM. When I left COM I transferred to a much larger community college nearby for some classes I needed (City College of San Francisco). That's when I realized how good I had it at COM. The bureaucracy at COM has its rough spots, but the people there are mostly very nice and very helpful. The financial aid office does an especially good job. The bureaucracy at my new, larger school is full of pitfalls, unhappy and disinterested workers, and the financial aid office is particularly problematic. So for administration, financial aid, seeing a counselor, you'll never have it any easier than you have it at COM.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2006