StudentsReview :: California State Polytechnic University - Pomona - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University - Pomona

I'm a first year out of state studentBrightMechanical Engineering
I'm a first year out of state student in mechanical engineering and am becoming quite frustrated already. I like my classes and the professors are nice. However the staff is rude and not helpful. It's very hard to get into the classes you need in this major. Already I am behind by three classes and that's considered lucky from what I hear. The dorms are quite old and small even for two people and I'm in a three bed dorm.

So far the other students are nice and the social life is ok. The campus grounds are ok. As for the surrounding area, I haven't vetured out near the school yet but I have relatives here and they warn me never to go alone and to have at least three buddies with me.My main complaint is not getting into the classes I need for my major. If this keeps happening, I won't graduate until seven years. I am already thinking about transferring to another school. Also, this school will be transitioning from a quarter system to a semester system which will put students even more further behind.

1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Scholastic Success: A, Faculty Accessibility: D-
If you would like to have an enjoyableBrightEngineering Department
If you would like to have an enjoyable college experience with friendly teachers, a challenging but stimulating workload, any kind of social life, and an overall memorable experience that you will cherish forever, I implore to please please please whatever you do avoid this school or at least the engineering department at all costs. The quality of this department and school has dropped so significantly in the last few years, I warn everyone thinking about applying to not waste their time or money. Because cal poly pays the absolute least in professor wages, any decent teacher immediately transfers away as soon as they can. The leftover professors are terrible and barely speak any English. They are constantly getting annoyed because of their inability to articulate their lesson, and half the time just give up and read off slides they made five years ago. I was especially surprised when I found out there is NO EXPOSURE TO ANY AUTOCAD, which is required in absolutely every engineering job. This school is ridiculous and does not deserve its current ranking which is why it has only DROPPED in the last six years.
5th Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Education Quality: F
Overall, the difficulty of the university is highly depenBrightSociology
Overall, the difficulty of the university is highly dependent on your major. I changed majors while attending school here, from geology to sociology. The science programs from what I experienced (chem, bio, geology, math) were very good and challenging. I enjoyed the classes but eventually changed majors because although it was enjoyable, I did not see myself in a career in the field. There were definitely variations in the quality of professors. If you can, do your research on the professor prior to picking your classes.

Once I went to sociology, the courses were MUCH easier. As is expected in an arts major, the courses are going to be much easier. Professors for the most part are highly liberal, which in this field is expected, and closed-minded. I found students who did not agree with most professors' opinions were often chastised in front of the entire class. If you just sit there and regurgitate what they want to hear, you'll get an A, easy. There is usually little to no room for actual debate or discussion...more of a "this is how it is" approach to teaching. There were a few professors, and very few, that were actually enjoyable and encouraged debate (Prof. Jack Fong was my favorite). Anyhow, a lot of the courses were repetitive, and I really felt I did not learn a whole lot or it was not applicable to much of anything else.

I do feel the quality of education went down even as I was attending, largely due to the politics of the university...it seemed like they were more interested in the number of people they could graduate versus the quality of the education. From my observations, this practice seemed to hurt the school more since they were admitting many students who were not at the college level. Many of the courses were highly impacted due to people retaking them because they had already failed them once. I also took far too many classes where students just did not show up to class and were taking up seats in already hard to get courses. Overall, I did not get an academic feeling while attending this university. Most students seemed interested in just passing their courses in the easiest way possible. I felt the university lacked creativity and an emphasis on individual students. It is more of a cookie cutter university and it seemed to take away the passion and interest in many of the courses. But aren't most universities in the US headed in this direction already?From what I hear, the university has been adjusting their policies to correct the damage of their prior policies, hopefully for the better.

4th Year Male -- Class 2011