StudentsReview :: California State Polytechnic University Pomona - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University Pomona

Jul 11 2012Urban Planning

Cal Poly Pomona is worthless, especially the Urban and Regional Planning department! Stay away - far, far away!

Preparedness: D Reputation: F

Waste of money

Oct 14 2010Communications
Waste of money. I should've gone to Cal State LA or Fullerton. Pomona is such a scary area and the school and students are just as scary. Coursework is not difficult at all.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: C, Collaboration/Competitive: F

I've been going to CPP for 3 years

Nov 30 2010Kinesiology
I've been going to CPP for 3 years now as a KIN major and I have yet to complete even my general (and still far from it). Cal Poly boasts about how wonderful of a school it is and how beautiful the scenery is-allow me to warn you about both before you make the mistake of going here:

I've lived within the area for my whole life and once you wander off the beautiful campus, you are literally putting your life in danger. It's surrounded by a very dangerous area with mainly illegal non-english speaking immigrants, or thugs. I NEVER go alone anywhere near the perimeter of the school once the sun goes down because nobody will, nor will they be willing, to help you if you needed it.

The professors in the KIN department are very kind and want to help you succeed, but they really don't care too much for you if you don't play a sport or don't catch their attention as a person. They are good people though and will motivate you. All other teachers at the school are a joke-my 1st grade teacher taught me more.

If you aren't an extreme liberal, you will NOT fit in at this school. They try so hard to accept minorities (specifically latin and oriental), that they discriminate against caucasions and blacks. One teacher told me that I was going to fail his class because i had semi-conservative political views "like a facist f***ing pig". If you don't join a sorrority or fraternity, you will most likely never make a friend. If your major isn't engineering, you'll most likely never get the classes you need. Since my 2nd quarter here-I'm in my 10th quarter now including summer-I've been trying to get the 2nd introductory KIN class. This quarter I made a personal record though on the waitlist as being 19th! This school is a huge waste of time and money if you actually want an education. The party life is hardly worth going through the cop busts every time, and the education isn't worth the frustration either. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere, ANYWHERE, else!

3rd Year Female -- Class 2013