StudentsReview :: California State Polytechnic University Pomona - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 9
Females 2
Males 7
Avg years at University 1.3
Research Quality A- (8.5)
Research Availability A (9.1)
Research Funding B (7.2)
Graduate Politics A- (8.1)
Errand Runners A (9.2)
Degree Completion A- (8.6)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] A (8.9)
Sufficient Pay B+ (7.8)
Competitiveness B+ (7.7)
Education Quality B+ (7.7)
Faculty Accessibility A (9.2)
Useful Research A- (8.8)
"Individual" treatment A (9.0)
Friendliness A (9.3)
Safety B+ (7.8)
Campus Beauty A- (8.8)
Campus Maintenance B (7.3)
University Resource/spending A- (8.1)
Extracurriculars B (7.0)
Success-Understanding A (9.0)
Surrounding City B- (6.3)
Social Life/Environment B+ (7.5)
Surrounding CityB-
FriendlinessA
May 09 2010Architecture & Urban Planning Department

Solid school and excellent value.

Being a grad

Dec 11 2008Electrical Engineering
Being a grad. student here at Cal Poly has its pros and cons.. I really like the interaction with myself and the faculty. They have been very helpful even at times where I have been struggling with my project/thesis. Class are not as resourceful but you can learn a lot from just chit chatting with the professors. They will offer advice from career to the details on what you are working on. Having a good study group also help.

With the new library,

Oct 03 2008Civil Engineering
With the new library, it seem like it have made campus a more resourceful community. It now offers many study area (open area with lounge chairs and couches). Its definitely a big plus to see cal poly moving towards better to serve the student body.

Going in to Cal Poly Pomona for my

Mar 08 2008Computer Engineering
Going in to Cal Poly Pomona for my Master's Degree was a choice that I thought about for a long while. I understood that Cal Poly Pomona did not have a PhD program so I was a little hesitant. But in retrospective, I'm glad I choose Cal Poly Pomona, I have met some great people and great faculty. Of course with any school there are few bad apples, but there are some true gems in this school and I was fortunate to have the opportunity to work with them. My advice to anyone is to seek out your own path, you are the most effective person in your entire life.Cal Poly Pomona offers a good program that one could really take advantage of. Good luck
Mar 06 2008Architecture & Urban Planning Department

good value for quality education.

Jan 04 2008Electrical Engineering

A great college experience.

Cal Poly Pomona is one of those school

Dec 12 2007Electrical Engineering
Cal Poly Pomona is one of those school that you don't think about until you give it a chance. But I do believe its one of be better unknown school around southern California.

So far as a graduate student here in CPP, I have been greatly surprised by the faculty's attention to students. They are very helpful in terms of helping you understand the materials and conveying materials in very comfortable, open environment. As student in the engineering department, hands on experience are very important and Cal Poly Pomona does a good job of delivering lab experience to its students.

With its small class size, there lots of opportunity for faculty and student interaction. I was able to get involved in some research with my fellow professors. Of course, most student are busy enough with classes and sometimes work. But experiences in some academia research have result with me gaining valuable experience and help me translate theory into application.

As most people have heard that the campus lacks activities. In this respect, yes campus is a little slow, but from my understanding from students that live on campus, they have no complaints in terms of student activities.

Lately, there has been some mess up with some classes in the college of science being cancel. I don't know the full extend but hopefully our administration will find ways to resolve these issues to better served our well deserved students.

Campus is looking better these days with new additions to the main library and hopefully we will get our new Business Admin building that we were suppose to have few years ago.

Overall, my experience has been a positive one, I have gotten to know really nice people in both the student body and our campus faculty.

Worse than bad

Jul 16 2007Business - Management and Administration
Worse than bad. The graduate programs here at best are unfocused and disorganized and at worst are a total waste of time. Just before my arrival the new dean fired the highly effective and popular graduate director and replaced him with a bunch of clerks who had no clue what to do. As a result almost all of the distinguishing off campus and international programs died off. Then as the program declined and fewer students enrolled fewer sections were offered. Finally, as faculty began to depart by the dozens and were replaced by those with little experience and poor English skills the place turned into utter chaos, leaving students without a focus or even an advisor. You may save some money going here but you get almost nothing in return. My advice would be to go to any other Cal State for the same tuition. Nothing can possibly be worse.