StudentsReview :: California State University Dominguez Hills - Comments and Student Experiences

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA
California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA
San Diego State University -- San Diego, CA

California State University Dominguez Hills

Nov 04 2014Unknown
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Well there are good things and not so good things. The good thing is, the professors are very helpful and caring. My GPA is pretty good and I'm on to right track to graduation. the campus is nice.

However, it is SUPER BORING. Socially it is really boring. The only way you meet people there is if you have friends there that you have known since high school or from else where.

Sorry to say it but the clubs suck, most of the sororities suck, people join and remain active for one year and quit being active. Like what the hell is the point of pledging if your going to quit attending events? They are dis organized and some of them are a little snotty.At my community college I didn't have this problem at all, I had plenty of friends, but some of the students are not that welcoming. I was board to death and couldn't WAIT to get our of there.

Sep 01 2013Communications
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Hello to those reading this. Let me be as transparent as possible... DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, PERSONALITY, LIFE AT THIS RIDICULOUS INSTITUTION. I must say coming to CSUDH was an epic disappointment lol. When I initially came here, I thought this would be a school where: minorities really cared about each, helped each other, wanted to help each, wanted to learn about each other's cultures, etc. Boy was I wrong! This school was (and no doubt still is) a full grown adult ghetto high school.

During the 4 semesters I was here, there was soooo much racial tension between the Black students and the Mexican students (quite frankly tension was rampant between Mexicans and non-Mexicans and Black kids were basically rude and mean to everyone not black and even other black kids outside their cliques). You'd almost feel you were going to a Jim Crow School except all the white kids have been replaced with Mexicans (what the heck). As a black male who grew up having close Mexican friends, I was quite disturbed and disappointed by this.

As a Communications Major, I thought that being classes with the same people would inevitably create a friendly rapport amongst most if not all of us (again unrealistic on my part lol). The vast majority of my peers I had PR/Marketing/Advertising classes were rude, immature, consistently cliquey, catty (even the guys), fake, subtly competitive, frequently/unnecessarily mean-spirited, it was just awful! Of the 100-200 Comm. majors I knew, I can count on both hands the number of ones I still stay in contact with and one hand the # I consider real friends.

Housing was a nightmare. No matter how many Roommate Request forms you fill, you will NOT get the kind of roommates you want. All I ever wanted were roommates who were quiet, studious and God-fearing. I had nothing but rude, immature, ghetto roommates the entire time and had to pay $900 just to have my own room for Motel 6 Quality Dorms. Of the 12 different roommates I had, there were only 4 that I liked.

In addition to unnecessarily racial tension, section 8 housing and people mentally stuck in high school, a 4th noticeable dilemma was RAMPANT APATHY on campus. I was a member of the CSU Alliance half the time I attended CSUDH and once again was disappointed being at a school where 98% of students DO NOT CARE about their tuitions skyrocketing every semester. I certainly cared since my tuition did go up and financial aid went down every semester. I was grateful for the experience and have stayed in contact with all the people I worked with.

I thought I graduated Spring 2009 and didn't even graduate until a year later (I already transferred and was attending Grad school at CSULA) since I was not ?officially a graduate?. I wasn't a graduate because NONE of my counselors told me ?btw Communications is the ONLY department in the entire school that requires a Minor.? I had to find this through Ed Whetmore (who was a total asshole). In the long run, it was fine. My minor was Theater, I took classes I enjoyed, starred in a play on-campus and made friends with nearly everyone I had Theater classes with (still stay in contact with most of them). My last semester there quite frankly was the ONLY semester that I actually enjoyed since it had nothing to do with my Major lol.

The positives about this school are: faculty members who genuinely care about you (at least Comm. professors) and... that's about it. I might also say if you're strictly a Theater major, DH is great since all the Theater professors are nice and nearly all of your peers are as well.

If you're not a Theater major, don't come here. If you're hoping for a positive college experience, don't come here. If you're expecting a diverse community where everyone integrates with each other, ha ha ha ha good luck.

If you want to come to a minority school with minorities who do NOT like each other and many times are not even subtle about it, come here. If you want to attend a school where almost everyone not a faculty member is rude (especially those who work in the bookstore, Registration and Financial Aid Offices), by all means Dominguez Hills is for you.

On a scale of 1-10, Dominguez Hills is a 3 1/2. Aside of good teachers, great Theater program and a few decent on-campus restaurants, EVERYTHING ELSE about this school sucks! I hate knowing this had to go on and on and on some more but I really resented this school the entire time I was there (can't you tell lol). Advice for Prospective Students: Just read above. Peace and God bless!

Starting Job: Talent Acquisition Coordinator (current) Preparedness: D+ Reputation: D
Nov 10 2012Undecided
CSUDH CAMPUS:
Dominguez Hills campus is rather small, kept up, and approachable. The campus isn't all that nice. I mean there are a few building that makes up for the dullness of this school. Nicest building we have at DHills would have to be the LSU (Loker Student Union) and the library. The food is pretty gross, its not edible at all, well at least not to me. There is a taco bell, subway, dragon express (chinese food), johnny (pizza/pasta), tully coffee, and the sports lounge (they pretty much sell everything). I seriously only eat on campus if I am starving which is rare. The library is pretty mice, well the new side is at least. The old side gives me the creeps. I feel like a killer is lurking in there waiting to catch someone slipping. So I rarely go on the old side. BTW: NEVER EVER EVER RIDE THE ELEVATORS. I swear every time I ride one at this school I tend to get stuck!

PROFESSORS:
The professors are pretty chilled and laid back. They actually care about you. So far the rudest prof I had was for Geo100, he said that he rather not take the time to get to know us because its easier to fail a face that you do not. So he made his class online and it was pretty easy. I got a B in the class. But I thought was kind of harsh to say. But he was just being real I suppose. But other than that, they are really chilled professors and they want you to pass their classes.

GREEK LIFE:
The greek life at DHills is a joke. I'm sorry but I don't take any of them serious one bit. Well at least the divine 9. They fight each other at their events. I'm so confused on how you're suppose to call each other brother/sister, yet you're fighting on another in PUBLIC.

STUDENTS:
The students here are rude. No matter what age they are, they are just rude and nasty. No kind of home training what so ever.

DORMS:
The dorms are the epitome of CRAP. Everything is on the edge of braking. Bugs like crazy, super hot, walls are super thin, and full of rude inconsiderate individuals.

CLUBS:
The clubs seem okay. I was in the club TP (toro productions)and at first it was okay but once the members starting getting comfortable with you, you see how corrupted they really are. They are unfair, manipulating, liars, and dont care about you unless you are a kiss ass to them. So what ever you do DO NOT join TP. They tend to reel people in with their smiles but it's all show, don't fall for it. Full of drama, its not worth it.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE:
As a freshman I was super stoked to come to this school, but unfortunately I didn't do any research on this school. This school has absolutely no school spirit, they think that they are to cool to cheer on for their school. Everyone here is close minded and they staying knocking dhills. Super rude and ungrateful.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015