StudentsReview :: California State University Dominguez Hills - Comments and Student Experiences

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA
California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA
San Diego State University -- San Diego, CA

California State University Dominguez Hills

Jan 29 2009Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I didn't have high expectations coming in--judging by the alumni that I have encounter throughout the years--but even I was let down. This is basically a school for older, working adults going back to school to get a "degree" vice getting an "education." DH serves it market well. If you are one of the few people who seriously want to learn something, then look elsewhere. DH is nothing more than a degree mill.
1st Year Female -- Class 2010
Campus Maintenance: A-, Education Quality: F
Sep 04 2008Sociology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I was a returning student with two decades of government service. I found the faculty to be concerned and motivated. The small class sizes were ideal for discussion. The students could not hide from the professors, who quickly learned our names and level of understanding of the class material.
4th Year Male -- Class 2008
Education Quality: A, Extracurricular Activities: C-
Aug 27 2008Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This school is a nightmare. Financial aid is impossible to get ahold of and does not want to deal with issues. Registrar's office is the same way. Teachers often tell you to relax or be patient when you are living on no money. Emails and phone calls go unanswered and when someone finally is reached, they do not want to deal with you because you are upset that you have been calling and calling and not responded too. There is a complete lack of communication between all departments. For example, I was supposedly registered since May but cannot log onto anything-email, website about financial aid, records, etc. Yesterday I called to get my student ID which I still don't have although I supposedly have been registered since May, and when I typed it in online, it said I did not exist. The day before, I received a letter in the mail from CSUDH saying welcome back returning student. Problem is that I am not a returning student. Also how can I be a returning student and not exist all at once?

Bottom line is this: if you don't want to spend your entire time at college on the phone with voicemails or people who don't want to listen to you transferring you to voicemails, DO NOT go here. I have spent at least 5 hours on the phone and am no closer to being done with this stupidity than the very day I arrived.

P.S. I am a straight A student who has gone thruogh six years of college without issue. I was simply here to complete graduate school and get on with my life. Due to the issues listed above and SOOOO many more, I have decided to take a year off from school and go somewhere were I can concentrate on learning next fall, instead of making phone calls all day, which is very out of character for my type A personality.I would just like to reiterate, DON'T GO HERE!!!!!

1st Year Female -- Class 2008