StudentsReview :: California State University Dominguez Hills - Comments and Student Experiences

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA
California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA
San Diego State University -- San Diego, CA

California State University Dominguez Hills

Katrina Hermosa, the EOP liason and counselor is

Jan 09 2010Communications
Katrina Hermosa, the EOP liason and counselor is not a nice person at all. I am not into the school yet but I was confused about the EPL/EPT test and so I emailed and called her asking her help clear up a little about the test. Sh kept sending me messages back that seemed like she had a horrible attitude when I was just a senior in high school asking for a little bit of help.She has totally changed my perception about the school. Maybe the other counselors are little bit more caring about there future students.
1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Scholastic Success: B-, Collaboration/Competitive: F

My undergraduate years were invaluable to me, the

Feb 15 2008Communications
My undergraduate years were invaluable to me, the most important of making me a person. My advice in high school is to pay attention to the requirements for getting into college and fulfill them. Don't think you can slide by. If you need academic help, ask for it--DEMAND IT. It's your right. Get involved in extracurricular activities, if you can. It does help in getting into college and can be fun.

If you're in college, explore all the possibilities and things that interest you. You'll never have a better chance to learn about the breadth of the world than as an undergraduate. Ask questions, think critically, and don't be afraid to challenge authority.Finally, for everyone: learn to write well. It's the most valuable tool you can have.

Starting Job: Associate Editor Preparedness: B Reputation: C-

Hello to those reading this

Sep 01 2013Communications
Hello to those reading this. Let me be as transparent as possible... DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, PERSONALITY, LIFE AT THIS RIDICULOUS INSTITUTION. I must say coming to CSUDH was an epic disappointment lol. When I initially came here, I thought this would be a school where: minorities really cared about each, helped each other, wanted to help each, wanted to learn about each other's cultures, etc. Boy was I wrong! This school was (and no doubt still is) a full grown adult ghetto high school.

During the 4 semesters I was here, there was soooo much racial tension between the Black students and the Mexican students (quite frankly tension was rampant between Mexicans and non-Mexicans and Black kids were basically rude and mean to everyone not black and even other black kids outside their cliques). You'd almost feel you were going to a Jim Crow School except all the white kids have been replaced with Mexicans (what the heck). As a black male who grew up having close Mexican friends, I was quite disturbed and disappointed by this.

As a Communications Major, I thought that being classes with the same people would inevitably create a friendly rapport amongst most if not all of us (again unrealistic on my part lol). The vast majority of my peers I had PR/Marketing/Advertising classes were rude, immature, consistently cliquey, catty (even the guys), fake, subtly competitive, frequently/unnecessarily mean-spirited, it was just awful! Of the 100-200 Comm. majors I knew, I can count on both hands the number of ones I still stay in contact with and one hand the # I consider real friends.

Housing was a nightmare. No matter how many Roommate Request forms you fill, you will NOT get the kind of roommates you want. All I ever wanted were roommates who were quiet, studious and God-fearing. I had nothing but rude, immature, ghetto roommates the entire time and had to pay $900 just to have my own room for Motel 6 Quality Dorms. Of the 12 different roommates I had, there were only 4 that I liked.

In addition to unnecessarily racial tension, section 8 housing and people mentally stuck in high school, a 4th noticeable dilemma was RAMPANT APATHY on campus. I was a member of the CSU Alliance half the time I attended CSUDH and once again was disappointed being at a school where 98% of students DO NOT CARE about their tuitions skyrocketing every semester. I certainly cared since my tuition did go up and financial aid went down every semester. I was grateful for the experience and have stayed in contact with all the people I worked with.

I thought I graduated Spring 2009 and didn't even graduate until a year later (I already transferred and was attending Grad school at CSULA) since I was not ?officially a graduate?. I wasn't a graduate because NONE of my counselors told me ?btw Communications is the ONLY department in the entire school that requires a Minor.? I had to find this through Ed Whetmore (who was a total asshole). In the long run, it was fine. My minor was Theater, I took classes I enjoyed, starred in a play on-campus and made friends with nearly everyone I had Theater classes with (still stay in contact with most of them). My last semester there quite frankly was the ONLY semester that I actually enjoyed since it had nothing to do with my Major lol.

The positives about this school are: faculty members who genuinely care about you (at least Comm. professors) and... that's about it. I might also say if you're strictly a Theater major, DH is great since all the Theater professors are nice and nearly all of your peers are as well.

If you're not a Theater major, don't come here. If you're hoping for a positive college experience, don't come here. If you're expecting a diverse community where everyone integrates with each other, ha ha ha ha good luck.

If you want to come to a minority school with minorities who do NOT like each other and many times are not even subtle about it, come here. If you want to attend a school where almost everyone not a faculty member is rude (especially those who work in the bookstore, Registration and Financial Aid Offices), by all means Dominguez Hills is for you.

On a scale of 1-10, Dominguez Hills is a 3 1/2. Aside of good teachers, great Theater program and a few decent on-campus restaurants, EVERYTHING ELSE about this school sucks! I hate knowing this had to go on and on and on some more but I really resented this school the entire time I was there (can't you tell lol). Advice for Prospective Students: Just read above. Peace and God bless!

Starting Job: Talent Acquisition Coordinator (current) Preparedness: D+ Reputation: D