StudentsReview :: California State University Dominguez Hills - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA
California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA
San Diego State University -- San Diego, CA

California State University Dominguez Hills

Total Grad Surveys 6
Females 5
Males 1
Avg years at University 2.8
Research Quality B- (6.3)
Research Availability B (7.2)
Research Funding C (4.3)
Graduate Politics B (7.3)
Errand Runners B (7.2)
Degree Completion D+ (3.2)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C (4.6)
Sufficient Pay A- (8.4)
Competitiveness B+ (7.9)
Education Quality A- (8.7)
Faculty Accessibility B- (6.1)
Useful Research A- (8.7)
"Individual" treatment B+ (7.5)
Friendliness A- (8.2)
Safety C- (4.2)
Campus Beauty B- (6.5)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.6)
University Resource/spending A- (8.4)
Extracurriculars C- (3.8)
Success-Understanding A (8.9)
Surrounding City B+ (7.7)
Social Life/Environment B+ (7.6)
Degree CompletionD+
I completed the HUX program this year, andAug 09 2010Other
I completed the HUX program this year, and though there were a lot of hoops to jump through in the thesis process, it was overall a good, valuable experience and I am glad I did it. The folks in the HUX office are wonderful and very helpful. There were a few times when I was frustrated and considered dropping the program, but people in the HUX program -- including office staff and professors -- did an amazing job of helping me get through it.
Research Topic(s): Would rather not say
I started the HUX program before DrDec 22 2009Philosophy
I started the HUX program before Dr. Cherin took over the school. I have to say that the experience prior to her was great. The professors were mostly helpful and supportive except for the few that were pretentious and condescending. Things were going swimmingly until the last 2 years or so. I should have already graduated but the thesis process has been a nightmare. First, my contracts for 598 were "lost" numerous times and so I missed many deadlines for registration and had to sign up for 600 when I shouldn't have. The staff is nice but they don't get anything done and no one communicates with one another. The thesis process, which is downloadable online was not the same process Dr.Cherin followed nor were any of these explained until they blamed the student for not knowing. It has been very confusing and with having to write a thesis and dealing with an incompetent staff, it has been a total let down. I think I've wasted my money and won't be finishing the last of my thesis(which has already been passed by 3 readers but apparently needs to be passed by 4 which is obnoxious) because the staff did not register me on time due to changes in their ID number system which affected my status as a student, which in turn had me calling the staff every week so that I could register only to find out that it was too late because no one would get back to me. I sent an email to Dr. Cherin about this and she told me it was my fault. How is it my fault when I call to register and they tell me "the school is having problems with student status because of the new ID number changes but we'll take care of it" Now they want me to "reapply" for next summer. Ridiculous. This school may have been worth it before, but Dr. Cherin is incompetent as the director.
What happened to me I don't wish onSep 20 2008Other
What happened to me I don't wish on anyone. Wish I could give a positive feedback on the HUX program, yet can't since their admissions is awful, as is the new head Dr. Cherin. I don't understand how international people could get into this program. I applied to this program 6 months before the start of the semester I was interested in starting. They lost my application 3 times! Every time I contacted Dr. Cherin about the situation she kept tossing my situation to someone else. I still had no answer days before the semester was going to start. I watched the online orientation and students on there were complaining they didn't get any response to their application too! I also read this on the HUX message boards that folks were also having similar issues too. Then ONE DAY before courses was to begin "Sweet" (NOT!) Dr. Cherin contacted me to ask to REAPPLY since she didn't feel I was good enough to do graduate work. WTF?! Instead of just declining me they put me through 6 months of hell (I live outside of CA so it was via calls and e-mails) just to inform me I wasn't good enough to get into their "easy, anyone can get into" program (as stated on the online orientation!). Seeing I had already gone through graduate school and had almost a 4.0 I know for the fact that I wasn't stupid to attend this program. They kept messing up and decided instead of APOLOGIZING they would just put the blame on the student instead. I was told that the gentleman before Dr. Cherin was kind and wonder to work with. I can NOT recommend this program since just getting in is a nightmare of an experience. This review is from my personal situation, yet I do have to mention that I spoke with about a dozen students around the world that had similar issues. Dr. Cherin left one girl, who is a faculty member of a university, in tears when told she shouldn't be in her profession.
I am in my second year in theJan 02 2008Unknown
I am in my second year in the Humanities External (HUX) Program. My area of emphasis is literature. This program has been fantastic. My professors have all been very thorough and approachable. The HUX program is distance learning; some classes have an online component, some do not. All of my questions have been answered promptly, and I have had no problems getting the classes I need. I would recommend this program to anyone wishing to pursue a distance learning degree. My B.A is from UCSB, and my credential (I teach elementary school) is from National University, and I have found the quality of instruction at Dominguez Hills to be superior to any of the other schools I have attended. (Of course, I am older and wiser, and paying my own tuition!) Also, the HUX program is well run, and the people are easy to deal with. All in all, a fine program!
Aug 21 2007Public Policy
I like going to CSUDH because the MPA is very resourceful and I am looking forwarding to completing the program.
going here was a big mistakeMay 16 2006Business - Management and Administration
going here was a big mistake. it was convenient from a commuting perspective but i should have driven further and gone to long beach state instead. the level of instruction here for graduate students is close to that of a junior college. i later learned that this school is ranked dead last in the entire university system.

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→