StudentsReview ™ :: California State University Fresno - Comments and Student Experiences

California State University Fresno

More than half of my professors teach their

Feb 26 2009Music - Performance
More than half of my professors teach their opinions of the subject I'm learning not teaching the actual subject. The learning process for me isn't subject based but teacher based. I'm learning how to take courses from specific teachers and not learning specific subjects. I'm going to get a D every time I have to learn how a teacher feels about the subject I'm learning.
1st Year Male -- Class 2010
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: F

I moved from San Diego to Fresno to

Feb 25 2009Music Education
I moved from San Diego to Fresno to attend CSUF. I really enjoy the music department here. The staff is very helpful and likes to hear feedback often. The Vocal program has grown so much in only the few years that I have been here. The professors really care about your well being and about you as a person. Everyone is friendly and I know that in the music department we are big more like a family. Fresno isn't a really big "party town" either so you don't have to worried about being too distracted but, their are still plenty of things to do. I really enjoy attending Fresno State and I would highly encourage anyone to join us in the music department.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B+

I feel very fortunate that I was in

Sep 10 2008Physics
I feel very fortunate that I was in the physics department at CSUF. The department is filled with almost entirely top-notch professors who both command the subject material as well as communicate it very well.

Of particular importance is the opportunity for students to do real research as undergraduates. These professors are approachable and recognize students who are dedicated and interested.

The one thing I cannot stress enough is that you get out of this program exactly what you put into it. You will almost certainly meet the perpetual juniors and seniors who are stuck in limbo instead of on track to graduate. Make friends with the other students who study, get assignments done, discuss course material and have good attendance.

By and large the GE classes felt mostly like a distraction from the major, but there were exceptions such as some of the health science and humanities courses. I advise doing some research on a site like ratemyprofessor to check out the available instructors.

My last bit of advice is for anyone considering this major after having taken some or all of the 4-track classes. They are a good foundation for the upper-division coursework, but expect a vast increase in difficulty. Physics is perhaps the most challenging field of study available and you will work hard, but the rewards are worth it.Employment after graduating was a snap, even after relocating. Expect to make between 50-60k right out the door as well as have the option for many graduate fields of study (physics is a good stepping stone to things such as medicine, law and of course more physics!)

3rd Year Male -- Class 2007