StudentsReview :: California State University Monterey Bay - Comments and Student Experiences

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA
San Diego State University -- San Diego, CA
California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

California State University Monterey Bay

I came to CSUMB as a transfer student.Quite BrightComputer Science
I came to CSUMB as a transfer student. The computer science program here is a joke. If you are a networking student, the program is severely neglected. Most of the classes are very software intensive, trying to get kids into coding. Anything applicable to networking starts with CST 412 (Network Administration), and that simply is not enough to get your CCNA. For those who did not get an internship or job experience, you are really screwed. The material they teach is very dated and mainly theory, nothing really applicable. The school pushes the concept "learn how to learn" where you essentially teach yourself. It makes sense that you will have to take the initiative to learn, but many teachers take advantage of this. Some teachers tend to duck out of class 30-60 min early, leaving you with busy work. Most are too lazy to write their own curriculum, so they will borrow material from Stanford or Cal Berkley. One teacher even said to us, "Hey, I know it is my first time teaching architecture in 15 years, but at least you guys are doing the same stuff as Cal and Stanford students." I have worked for about a year on the outside through internships and private IT work, and many in the workplace expect that should I know certain concepts such as routing, but I don't. What you do in the workplace and school is so different. These teachers act like they know what they are talking about, but they really don't. They are stuck in a time where the technology they know, is practically obsolete. Don't make the same mistake I made by going here. You'll get your moneys worth by either enrolling in another university or getting your certifications through a boot camp.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: B, Social Life: F
This school wants to trap you here forever.Super BrilliantOther
This school wants to trap you here forever. They don't want you to graduate they want you to endlessly spend money here. The counselors are mean and don't care about the students. The Campus is a nightmare. They have closed down a ton of parking lots screwing over their commuter students. Most of the commuters are because this school has horrible on campus housing and screws over their students. I was told a month before transferring that I would have to find a place to live. You have to get to class at least an hour early if you want to find parkign and pnly be 10 minutes late to class. Otherwise you can park in a parking lot way on the outskirts and hike your way to class. IF you decide to come here check out what your major requirements are first because they will make you take classes that will overwork you and stress you out and that you will never use again. This school has made me so stressed out that the only good thing I have to say is about the mental health availability. This school has caused me to have several anxiety attacks monthly and brought back my depression. I am far from the only. Don't go here.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Maintenance: A, Education Quality: F
Compsci program is utter garbage.Computer Science
Compsci program is utter garbage. Everything you learn is either too basic or too old to be of any use. Don't go here for computer science period. I recall a time in my first semester when I realized that the school was shit, and I asked my professor "Will this class get any harder? Because right now I'm sleeping through it" and got the answer "No, this is just how the curriculum is" with an understanding expression. Even he knew how bad the program was. Literally nothing I learned here has been relevant to the scarce few interviews I've managed to scrounge from the scraps left behind by those who don't have toilet paper degrees, and I've been left looking like an idiot more than once for not knowing things that supposedly "Every decent computer science program teaches".If you think that's bad, consider too that I was in the Software Engineering concentration, which is the most fleshed out. Anyone in Networking and Security is double screwed because you don't get any certs and you learn nothing of use until CST412, and by then it's too late to cram an entire education into a one semester class.
Compare CSUMB/CSMBSave CSUMB/CSMB