StudentsReview :: California State University - Sacramento - Comments and Student Experiences

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA
San Diego State University -- San Diego, CA
California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

California State University - Sacramento

Bottom line, coming to sac state was theQuite BrightMechanical Engineering
Bottom line, coming to sac state was the worst decision of my life. Being a huge commuter school, outside of regular school hours, there is no one around and nothing going on. Ive been going here 3 years, and have failed to meet a single person who I still am in touch with. This is amplified by the fact it is impossible to get classes, especially as a mechanical engineer, so you never have the same kids in your classes. Professors, if you can even call them that, are subpar. There has been maybe one or two good ones that I have had, the rest literally read out of the book, or powerpoint, and many seem angry when you ask questions. It seems like they just want to do as little work as possible. Ive had teachers cancel entire weeks of class at a time, with no real reason given.

The dorms are literally like jail cells. Brick walls, no real heat or ac (randomly would quit working), and beat up rooms make you feel like a prisoner. Showers would be ice cold then scalding hot throughout the entire length of the shower. I now live off campus, thankfully as the dorms are run very poorly and are in disrepair.

The only positive I can see, is the staff of the Mechanical engineering dept are very helpful and try their best to get you your classes. I cannot speak for other majors, but Ive heard theyre not nearly as good. The campus is also decently nice, lots of trees and no streets running through campus. Other than that, the rest is all negative. Overall, I dread going to school, and having to deal with the crappy faculty, the hoops to jump through to get classes, and the seemingly always pissed off students. I will surely be looking to transfer somewhere, anywhere, else. This place has driven away from the first semester I was here.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Friendliness: A-, Collaboration/Competitive: F
Ok I am a transfer student from aBrightPsychology
Ok I am a transfer student from a Junior college. I did really well at the junior college and in a few ways I feel like it was more challenging.

1. Smaller classes and more one on one with teachers
2.Easier to work in groups
3. Class discussion instead of just power point lectures all the time.
I did not expect to spend all my time doing power point lectures 5 days a week for 4 hours a day. Boring and unnecessary.

The professors in the psych program are nice enough but they are boring and they spit facts at you and give you test with multiple choice questions. I only had one professor give me a test that was write in and that was for stats.

#Number of Classes (I can only speak for my major)
Fees have gone up and they will keep going up and there are hardly any psych class teachers. Tell me why we have 4 professors for psych 101 for an impacted major. Some if not most classes have no more than one or two professors!

The fees are crazy!!!On top of all that I was charged for 3 classes instead of two because I missed the drop in units deadline. I only missed it by a week and I paid for 3 classes and I only got to take one. That's 1400.00 dollars by the way. FYI you can only get a refund if you drop 2 weeks in or drop all your classes.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: B-, Education Quality: F
This school is anything but helpful.BrightBiology
This school is anything but helpful. I am an incoming freshman and have had such a confusing and stressful summer trying to comprehend everything I have to do for this school.

First, because my ACT scores were passing the placement exams I had thought that I wasn't required to take them. However, three of the seven emails I had gotten from this school were reminders to take the placement tests. Therefore towards the end of my summer I started to freak out because I had missed all of the testing dates until finally I just gave them a call and they told me I didn't have to take it even though the emails CLEARLY said I had to take them.

Secondly, seven emails. Throughout my whole enrollment I had gotten seven emails from this school. Two about placement test. Three for my orientation reminders. And two others to welcome me and to tell me about the changing email format. So here I am, a freshman, not knowing anything to do, while my friends are telling each other about all these emails and constant reminders for mandatory papers and events while I get nothing.

So third, as I am signing up for my orientation, I find out that it is by major. This is by far the worst thing a school can do. It separates all freshman into categories according to major. No we all would need to get to know each other since we'll have the same classes, however this fucks everybody up when trying to schedule classes. I was still unsure of my major because my future plans do not require me to take any prerequisite majors. So I signed up for Nursing. However, I realized that I wanted to take biology instead. Because all of the Biology orientations were full I had to sign up for a none-major orientation that included transfer students. You probably are wondering, "well, isn't that what you wanted?" Well not exactly. This orientation was scheduled as the second to last orientation, one month away from when I called. So I had to wait until this date to pick my classes, while the hundreds of thousands of students pick theirs.

And finally when my orientation did come, of course all the classes were full or 99% full. The orientation leaders were somewhat upbeat, but tired from the first hundred of orientations that were before. It was a fast paced and boring orientation. However, not only did these "leaders" not know what they were talking about, they also fucked everyone over by giving the wrong information. Of course as a freshman I was unsure of what GE's were and their subcategories. I was just told, "here's a list, not a complete list, but just try to pick classes me these." Of course they were all boring and full so we all definitely had a hard time picking classes. Now this wasn't exactly where we enrolled in classes however when we did, not only was there one "leader" mentoring 100 students while picking classes, but we were all competing for non GE classes that were an absolute waste of time. Though at the time I thought they were GE classes because my "leader" had told me that it was. And so I continued to go on and pick five classes that were non GE classes.

So as of right now I am scrambling to sign up for real classes that won't waste my time and money. However these classes are all full or waitlisted. But wait, waitlists aren't even actually waitlists. They disappear on the first day of school, and trying to get into a class is all first come first serve.

All in all, this school is a shit school that gives little for its students welfare and wellbeing. There is little to no help being given. And student grow by the thousands. There's no room for students in classes and older students don't know what they're talking about. I am here dreading college while all of my friends are very excited. This is definitely not a school I would have chosen to go to if I had the money.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018