StudentsReview :: Chapman University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Southern Colorado -- Pueblo, CO

Chapman University

I graduated from Chapman in the Spring of

Nov 27 2013Music - Performance
I graduated from Chapman in the Spring of 2011 and I have to say that the experience for me was negative due to the faculty. Many are arrogant, liars, EXTREMELY dramatic, and certainly not emotionally invested in their students. If I remained complacent in the beginning of my studies there and didn't fight for what I wanted (read: needed), I would not be where I am today. When I attended, the level of musicianship in the instrumental department was very low/mediocre, which was not particularly inspiring. I blame the appointment of mediocre faculty, who cannot bring in the talent Chapman needs in their instrumental department to really put itself on the map. While 95% of students are not very good, there have been a select few (and I mean FEW) who have gone on to fantastic schools for masters degrees/post grad diplomas, and have even subbed with major American orchestras.

In regards to the facilities and the campus, Chapman is fantastic. It looks stunning. The library is also amazing. I enjoyed taking liberal arts classes taught by esteemed men and women in their field; there was truly no comparison between the rest of the school and the music department. It's a damn shame.In all, I felt undervalued. I can honestly say that I am embarrassed to have attended the school.

Starting Job: Teacher Preparedness: F Reputation: D

This place is like a damn high school

May 25 2013Biology
This place is like a damn high school all over again. The people running this school are idiots and they don't know anything that goes on and they profile you for the rest of your days there if you ever get written up, even for the stupidest things. IF you get in trouble there once for having alcohol or anything they will purposely and unfairly prosecute as they see necessary. Their public safety only makes you feel less safe because they spend more time making sure everyone has a proper parking pass than looking for actual danger. They have never once stopped a mugging or anything near Chapman and one time they ran over a student crossing the crosswalk and then left.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

This school presents itself as a "top notch"

Jan 20 2014Unknown
This school presents itself as a "top notch" University and Conservatory. HA.
Lets get one thing straight. They do give out great financial aid. But if you are an aspiring musician, free-thinker, or creator, this is not the place for you. The music department is extremely retrogressive and halts any creative thought you may have before you can even get it out. Many kids at this school DO COME IN with musical talent and blindly believe that somehow Chapman will guide them to superstardom at Disneyland or Glee or whatever. No one here practices daily besides a few pianists and one guitarist who I see in the practice rooms. These kids run around and hangout at the pool all day, disregarding the $60,000 a year that their rich mommy and daddy are paying each year.

The school privileges the film school over all else. While I've heard great things about it, I feel cheated as a music student with less available facilities and resources.

Students at the school are unintelligent and unmotivated. They literally do nothing besides attend Greek life meetings, skateboard around in swimwear, get wasted at frat (ehm RAPE) parties, and play on their cell-phones while strutting around in designer apparel. If you are coming to college to meet intelligent, motivated thinkers, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU. Check out other liberal arts schools and give them a real tour.

This school is also extremely sexist and racist. My hispanic friend was told that his 'type' are meant to work in the cafeteria and that he only got into this school because of his minority status. A male professor made repeated commentary on my status as a female and made me feel like I didn't belong because I'm the only female major in my department. I asked him repeatedly to stop, but he persistently stifled such requests and didn't seem to care about how he made me feel and the message he was giving off to the other students.

Don't be fooled into the 'top notch Conservatory' crap. If you want to be a world-class classical musician, check out USC or even CSU Northridge before coming here. Chapman is all hype and no solid results.

However, the location is great. That's why I'm now able to transfer to a better music school in LA. So thanks for that, Chappy.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018