StudentsReview :: Humboldt State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA

Humboldt State University

Honestly Im sick and tired of people complaingQuite BrightAnthropology
Honestly Im sick and tired of people complaing about Humboldt. If youre not an out doors person or very open minded to new things THIS SCHOOL IS NOT FOR YOU!... On that note, in my experience yes there is a handful of people that smoke but I have a handful of friends who also dont smoke. Dont expect the city life of clubs or parties as crazy as in UCSB. If youre a chill laid back person who enjoys forest hikes, a beautiful beach, and having nature compltley surrounding you, this is the place for you. This place has so many nice people, be open to them and they will do the same. No this school isnt full of vegan people who bash on you, I have vegan friends and they dont mind at all that I eat meat. BE PREPARED for a culture shock.. Its so much different that your average city life. I come from downtown LA I KNOW THE CITY LIFE.. I grew up in it, honestly I love getting away and escaping to Humboldt. I feel much more free and people are much more open. In the city you cant just go up to someone and talk to them without getting a weird face. In humboldt Ive done it so many times, not once has someone given me a dirty look. School wise, I will admit sometimes some classes can lack but honestly people need to stop being whiners and learn, if someone really wants to learn they will use the tools they are given from the school and actually build more to it. Its a matter of not being lazy and being open minded to new things you thought youd never want to learn. HONESTLY I LOVE HUMBOLDT! I love the ability of just being able to walk a few feet away and Im in the forest, its gorgeous and so breathe taking. CONSIDER THE FACT THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO GREW UP IN THE STRAIGHT UP CITY!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: C+
I wouldn't recommend this school unless you are very consBrightBiology
I wouldn't recommend this school unless you are very conservative or plan on majoring in the Arts. Some of the most bigoted crap I've ever heard has come out of the mouth of students in the Fisheries and Forestry programs. Don't think women deserve equal rights or cheap healthcare? Think gun ownership is the most important part of being an American? Think that George Zimmerman is a national hero? This is the place for you!!!

I myself am a Fisheries major but because of the atmosphere created by other students I spend all of my free time in the art department!

Additionally the school itself makes no attempts to cover up the fact that the university is here to make money, not give you a worthwhile degree. While working for the US Forest Service over my breaks I have repeatedly been informed by my employers that Humboldt State is NOT very prestigious...and yet the school (a.k.a. the people you're paying) vehemently claims otherwise. The Forest Service, being one of the main employers of Natural Resources majors, has even informed me that I should not make my time at HSU a focal point of my resume! Overall I'm extremely disappointed and would recommend that, should you have the option, you get your degree from somewhere else! Perhaps programs like the Arts carry a bit of clout in the field, but the only people telling me my Fisheries degree is worth squat are the douchebags I'm paying an exuberant amount to. One last thing: class schedules are HORRIBLE!! Many of the classes that are core to majors are only available for ONE section every other semester...this means if you screw up, you're either going to have to take online classes (most likely through another University the selection here is horrible) or postpone your graduation by at least 365 DAYS!!! Campus police spend all of their time attempted to bust kids lighting up on campus or in the adjacent forest rather than doing a damn thing about the ridiculous level of bike thefts...but I'd be lying if I'm even disappointed by this fact anymore...this place will kill what little faith you have in higher US education.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Social Life: F
THE SCHOOL: PROQuite BrightEducation
I graduated with my degree in Liberal Studies Elementary Education from HSU in December 2013. The faculty, the program, the courses, were overall, GREAT! In my undergraduate career, I spent nearly 100 hours in elementary classrooms getting hands-on experience working with students and teachers. Most other CSU's do not offer near this much real-world learning. I observed, tutored, and taught a diverse population of students from schools is Arcata and Eureka. A majority of my professors were extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and willing to meet and talk with you about anything. Still, there were some classes that were pointless and boring. The adviser was great as well. Overall a fantastic program.

I didn't hate Arcata as much as a lot of other people did, but it still has its short comings. I came from Orange County, so living in Humboldt was very different for me. The weather was cold, but I still managed. There aren't many stores, but I still managed. The movie theater is small and quaint, but I still managed. The beaches up near Trinidad were by far my favorite places to go. I spent most of my weekends with my girlfriend who would visit me from Chico every week.

I would say that HSU itself was not a bad experience. My program was great. Arcata is cute, quaint, and nicely quirky if you can handle all the transients and hobos that flock to the plaza. But my fellow students were the thing that made me hate my time at HSU the most. Looking back, I wish I had gone to a different school closer to home. I didn't fit it. It was extremely hard to make friends. I felt so alone for the whole 2 years I was there. So let me explain...In order to fit in at HSU with your fellow students, YOU MUST SMOKE POT! I didn't smoke. I rarely drank. And I had a girlfriend. Bad combination for me. Everyone just wants to hang out and smoke. Literally all the time! My roommates would sit in their rooms and smoke several times a day. And since I didn't smoke, I was left out of any sort of social gathering. My advice, if you want to enjoy your time at HSU, you better love pot.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: D
Compare HSUSave HSU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→