StudentsReview ™ :: Humboldt State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA

Humboldt State University

This place is beautiful--let's get that out there

Aug 25 2005Philosophy
This place is beautiful--let's get that out there right away because, really, if you don't love nature you might as well not waste your time here. There is very little "night scene," hence if you're in college looking for that, look elsewhere. If you're looking for marijuana, well, you'll find it--that part of our reputation is certainly true. What you don't hear about, however, is the fact that certain departments (such as philosophy) have programs that honestly compete with much larger, better respected institutions. If you're interested in philosophy, take a look at our degree requirements and put them up against nearly any other program; you'll quickly see what I mean. Additionally, I know all the professors by name; they say hello to me (as well as most of the majors) as they pass me in the halls, call me into their offices for quick chats, etc. Open-door-policy isn't a cliche here, it's honestly the M.O. That said, I'm also an English major and that department has been rather lackluster--not bad, mind you, just underwhelming--when contrasted with my wonderful philosophy experience.

A seriously negative point: our library is tiny, understocked and underfunded. If I could change one thing about this university, that would be it. Also, sometimes our administrators spend money in some silly ways...but I think that's just as much the state's fault.So yeah, join us here in the Redwoods, but do us all a favor: leave that SoCal attitude down south. We're a relaxed, largely non-materialistic bunch up here and it rains too much to have all that makeup on and there are too many hills for those big heels of yours.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2006
Faculty Accessibility: A+, University Resource Use: C-

Good school for environmental sciences and the like

Apr 11 2005Philosophy
Good school for environmental sciences and the like. I was not impressed with the liberal arts education offered there. Very nice secluded college town, but not much diversity. Although the campus feels safe, I know of several reported assaults that happened while I was attending. I transferred after a year at HSU because I just didn't find the classes or the people very interesting.
1st Year Female -- Class 2003
Faculty Accessibility: A, Perceived Campus Safety: D
Feb 18 2005Nursing

Lots of hippies, but other than that a very cool laid back attitude around... everyones friendly... nice little town

3rd Year Male -- Class 2007