StudentsReview :: Humboldt State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA

Humboldt State University

Humboldt State is the perfect school for those

Jan 27 2004Education
Humboldt State is the perfect school for those that dislike the competitiveness of other more presitigious schools. I did my undergrad work as well as my initial graduate work here, and I plan to return next fall to obtain either my masters or administrative credential in education. My teaching credential program, however, didn't prepare me for teaching in the inner-city school that I'm currently teaching in. There's no way to replicate that type of environment in Humboldt, where the trees and ocean dominate instead of concrete. In retrospect, I don't think that ANY college program that focuses on theory and methods can prepare a teacher for the "real world," however.For anyone that is looking for a relaxed, beautiful campus out of the city, with open-minded students and helpful faculty, Humboldt is for you!
Starting Job: Teacher Preparedness: B- Reputation: B+

HSU is a great school

Mar 30 2003Biology
HSU is a great school. I more often than not have PhD.'s teaching my lab sections and I have not ever felt as though my needs weren't met.
4th Year Female -- Class 2004
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: A-

Humboldt State University is a beautiful campus

Apr 12 2003Psychology
Humboldt State University is a beautiful campus. There are lots, and lots of trees. The University is in a small weed centric city. A lot of people smoke the stuff here. Not many people talk about it but they do it. This place is probably the most liberal campus in the nation. If you are a conservative, republican, humboldt doesn't want you. People, though are accepting of ones views but mostly eevryone here has the same views about everything. The academics are alright. They are not hardcore, nor will you be stressing out every minute of everday. People here are not competitive and are willing to work with you. The teachers here are laid back and some will let you take exams over again if you failed the first time around. There is not much prestige with the univeristy but I do know they have a good natural science department. If your looking for recognition and challenging coursework definetley do not come here.
1st Year Male -- Class 2006