StudentsReview ™ :: Humboldt State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA

Humboldt State University

When I first came here, I was super

Dec 31 2013Biology
When I first came here, I was super excited to get away from my home state of Colorado and start my major in marine sciences. Now I am a bit more neutral. The campus is pretty and it is surrounded by beautiful redwoods. Be aware though, the school and surrounding town(s) are very small. About half of Arcata's population consists of college students, and the rest are either pot growers and/or long time residents. If that is something you enjoy, then great! If not, you will likely go a bit stir crazy being here. Driving time to the nearest major city is about 5 1/2 hours, so the area is pretty isolated. Aside from that, there isn't much of anything to do here aside from bowl in Eureka and Blue Lake, play mediocre laser tag in Eureka and get wasted at the bars near campus.

The campus and town is very safe, and people are super approachable and friendly. Being a male, safety is not something I worry about as much, but nonetheless the town and campus are super safe. You could walk around at any hour of the night around Arcata and it would very likely not be a problem. Eureka is different though, you have to be a bit more careful there.

The academics are very outstanding for the Biological sciences, but don't come here unless you are serious about school. Social sciences majors seem to get the short end of the stick, so I would probably consider other schools if you aren't up here for physical sciences.Overall it's a good school, but as stated you may get a bit stir crazy up here if you grew up near a large city. I can't wait to graduate and move on.

4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Surrounding City: F

Don't go here unless

Jul 10 2013Social Work
Don't go here unless you are not serious about your education. Honestly this school could of done a bunch of things for me but what I ended up with was regret. Luckily I was able to go to a much better school for my MSW.Don't let the friendly attitude trick you. Go somewhere else.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2013
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F

Humboldt State is a laid back, friendly hippie

Jun 08 2013Social Work
Humboldt State is a laid back, friendly hippie school. The only snobby people I have met while going to Humboldt were rich kids from SoCal. This school is very liberal, so you must be a little more open minded to go here. Saying words like "fag" and "queer" is not tolerated here.

Housing is very competitive! Apply early, because the dorms fill up fast and you don't want to get stuck in an apartment miles away from campus. If you do end up living on campus, don't smoke weed in the dorms. I know more than a handful of people who got kicked out for getting caught over and over again. I know it's Humboldt, but they still don't tolerate marijuana, even if you have a medical card.

The best programs here are for the sciences. The art departments are also excellent, but not what the school is know for.I'm in Social Work and the department is pretty good.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016